Craigslist scam??

heavenmade72
New Community Member
Trying to sell rings and wedding dress on Craigslist. This is the email I received. I am pretty sure it is a scam. I don't think I should give MY paypal information. Should they give me theirs and I will charge their paypal?
Hi Seller,
Good to hear from you  and am paying you via paypal, i will add additional $150 to your asking price to cover the cost of Shipment to my friend via Express Mail Service(EMS) and also insure the package for safety delivery to my friend and when shipping the item to my friend please don't write the value of the item in the shipment paper because if you put the value on the shipment paper their will be another charges for my friend before they release the package.So email me with your paypal account to order for your payment asap, if this mode of payment is okay by you please delete the advert from craigslist..And i will like to have your full name and address for record purpose as well
So for the future, if someone is legitimate and wants to pay throug paypal, how do I go about it? What information do they give me or what information should I get from them. NO WAY I am giving my full name and address!
Login to Me Too
24 REPLIES 24

Zipper
New Community Member

Glad I checked here also prior to selling motorcycle, sounds too hoaky to me, heres what I got via craiglist:

Thanks for the mail, i am buying this for my son as his birthday gift because i would not be around to celebrate with him i am a petroleum engineer currently on a rig offshore and due to the nature of my work,phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want this item to be a surprise gift for my son so i wont let him know anything about the item until it gets delivered to him , i am sure he will be more than happy with the item.I insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my PayPal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your PayPal email address so i can make the payment as soon as possible for the item and pls if you don't have PayPal account yet,it is very easy to set up, go on www.paypal.com and get it set up ,after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with PayPal so as to put the money through.I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up immediately you have receive the payment in full.what is your final price including the paypal charges?

Login to Me Too

alsbuyer
Contributor
Contributor

Isn't it standard though to give someone your paypal email to get paid for a purchase? I think this sounds like a scam as well but I'm new to paypal in general so I'd like to know. 

Login to Me Too

avoiceofreason
Contributor
Contributor

@alsbuyer wrote:

Isn't it standard though to give someone your paypal email to get paid for a purchase? I think this sounds like a scam as well but I'm new to paypal in general so I'd like to know. 

I would like to know too.

Login to Me Too

Charger67
Contributor
Contributor

Many sellers on eBay put theirs PayPal email ID's on the listings.

So where is the catch? How the scamer can harm us?

Here is what I received:

Eric Moore
Thanks for your response ,i will like to know if it is in good
condition because am buying it for my Dad as a gift and he doesn't
know about it,so can you assure me that i will not be
disappointed,also no shipment involved as i have a mover that will
come over for the pick up and am satisfied with your firm/advert
price,as am requesting this transaction should be done via PayPal so
the PayPal charges is on me and Payment will be made via PayPal
only(if you don't have an account,its easy,safe and secured just log
on to (www.paypal.com) i m presently out of town for my new project,so
am sorry i will not be able to come over to look at it in person and
that's the only reason why PayPal is the only Payment option. I hope
we can make the purchase as fast as possible?

i look forward to read from you .

> ________________________________
> From: Eric Moore

> I just view your listing and i will like to buy it.kindly let me know
> the condition of it asap.

Login to Me Too

Hippie
Contributor
Contributor

they will ask for money to pay for agent or shipper fees ,the money for the item and the reimbursment  for the shipping fee is held at paypal until the fees are sent to the shipper from u...nothing gets picked up ,so they cancell the transaction and u are out the money u wired

the agent or shipper and the buyer are the same person or are in the scam together

Login to Me Too

Charger67
Contributor
Contributor

kharlow22
New Community Member

I also received an email from a marine engineer out at sea (Scott Smith, tailerb19).  He tried to say he didn't have access to his banking info (though it was attached to his PayPal account) and limited internet time (though he emailed frequently).  He had to have our dining set for his Dad's birthday and tried to send me $850 extra for me to send to World Wide Speed Post (a fake company), but I wouldn't get his payment through PayPal until I sent the money to the shipping company via Western Union.

Login to Me Too

RZDbySQRLS
Contributor
Contributor

Here's one that we got.   Smiley Tongue

Thanks for accepting my offer, i like this backhoe and i will like to purchase it but i am on the sea at the moment as i am a marine engineer and due to the nature of my work,phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it.
I insisted on PayPal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my PayPal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your PayPal email address so i can make the payments asap and pls if you don't have PayPal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com and get it set up , after you have set it up i will need just the the name and the e-mail address you use for registration with PayPal so as to put the money through and you can ship out after i have made the payment .wait to read from you soon so i can proceed with the payment asap and you will ship to my house address after i make the payment .

Login to Me Too

browneyedgirl13
Contributor
Contributor

I have discovered a simple way to possibly discover if an email is a scam.  Craigslist is only supposed to be for those in your area.  When someone emails you have them call you at a convientent time; if they respond via email giving you shipping instructions it is usually a scam.  And pay attention to their punctuation, grammar and wording.  You can generally tell if someone is out of the country by how words are used.  Language translation programs that convert other languages to English make it a little messy and confusing at times. 
One more thing, if they say they are professionals, like marine engineers, and are not using correct punctuation, grammar and wording means they probably aren't really those people.  The military and other professions encode that type of stuff into your brain so you always sound professional.

Of course you always want to check with Paypal for the funds to be on the safe side.  I always call before I ship anything & refuse to ship out of the country or ship from Craigslist.  I use  Craigslist specifically for "cash only" sales and Ebay for everything else.  (Check for Ebay scams in the US to make sure your aren't being scammed. It almost happened to me)

Login to Me Too

tvoss98
Contributor
Contributor
I posted two ads yesterday and have already received 3 of these scam emails. The ads were for cars and two of the emails were from the same email address. All had nearly the same email content. Beware of anyone who is not willing to meet in person for a high dollar item. As for the person being able to dispute the transaction later and get there money back, this is true. I lost a very expensive watch that was sold via ebay, to some jerk who bought it, then shipped back a broken one and got his money back. What goes around comes around folks. I reply to crap like this and let them know that the email has been forwarded to the FBI. Maybe it'll spook them into dropping that email account and a days work... Who knows.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.