Craigslist scam??

heavenmade72
New Community Member
Trying to sell rings and wedding dress on Craigslist. This is the email I received. I am pretty sure it is a scam. I don't think I should give MY paypal information. Should they give me theirs and I will charge their paypal?
Hi Seller,
Good to hear from you  and am paying you via paypal, i will add additional $150 to your asking price to cover the cost of Shipment to my friend via Express Mail Service(EMS) and also insure the package for safety delivery to my friend and when shipping the item to my friend please don't write the value of the item in the shipment paper because if you put the value on the shipment paper their will be another charges for my friend before they release the package.So email me with your paypal account to order for your payment asap, if this mode of payment is okay by you please delete the advert from craigslist..And i will like to have your full name and address for record purpose as well
So for the future, if someone is legitimate and wants to pay throug paypal, how do I go about it? What information do they give me or what information should I get from them. NO WAY I am giving my full name and address!
Login to Me Too
24 REPLIES 24

jwd3
New Community Member

I too received a very suspicious email reply to an item I have for sale on craigslist as follows:

Good to have your reply. I am Anthony from Bainbridge Is, WA. and would have loved to come and inspect this at your place myself, but I am a marine engineer and presently off-shore I do not have access to phone facilities. I am buying this for my son in Washington as a surprise birthday gift and pls just make sure it is in condition described. I will appreciate more pictures if available and will be sending your money asap. My shipper will be available to pick this up as soon as payment is made. Do you have paypal account? because, I have a paypal account that I can easily send money through because, its good for business payments. Get back to me with your paypal email address and name in order for me to have your money sent on time. Confirm sale to me and remove the add from posting.
I plan not to reply... anyone else???
Login to Me Too

avoiceofreason
Contributor
Contributor

I'm glad a did a little research before accepting an offer to buy my car off craiglist. In fact my offer came from Josh from Vancover WA and he just happens to be off-shore as a marine engineer also..... below is a copy of email:

Good to have your reply. I am Josh Walker from Vancouver, WA. and
would have loved to come and inspect it at your place myself, but I am
a marine engineer and presently off-shore. I am buying this for my son
in Washington as a surprise gift and pls just make sure it is in
condition described. I will appreciate more pictures if available and
will be sending your money asap. My shipper will be available to pick
this up as soon as payment is made. Do you have paypal account?
because, I have a paypal account that I can easily send money through
because, its good for business payments. Get back to me with your
paypal email address and name in order for me to have your money sent
on time. Confirm sale to me and remove the add from posting.
regards
Josh Walker,
14008 NE 9th St,
Vancouver, WA
Login to Me Too

McRichard
New Community Member

Mr. Walker, the off-shore marine engineer, was also interested in purchasing my generator for his son.

Good to have your reply. I am Josh Walker from Vancouver, WA. and
would have loved to come and inspect it at your place myself, but I am
a marine engineer and presently off-shore. I am buying this for my son
in Washington as a surprise gift and pls just make sure it is in
condition described. I will appreciate more pictures if available and
will be sending your money asap. My shipper will be available to pick
this up as soon as payment is made. Do you have paypal account?
because, I have a paypal account that I can easily send money through
because, its good for business payments. Get back to me with your
paypal email address and name in order for me to have your money sent
on time. Confirm sale to me and remove the add from posting.
regards
Josh Walker,
14008 NE 9th St,
Vancouver, WA

Beware, good folk. Stick to local pick up & cash in hand from Craigslist buyers.

Login to Me Too

Signs-by-LC

Whenever they offer you a ton of extra money like that, you know its a scam. With Craigslist, read there page on frauds and scams. Think of it as a garage sale, you only take cash right? Same with CL. No checks, no money orders, and dont ship anything unless you actually know the person. If they offer you twice the amount, or it sounds to good to be true, then it is. And dont reply to those emails either, cause you just gave them your email address and your name!!!

Login to Me Too

alsbuyer
Contributor
Contributor

I got the same sort of email for two of my items on Craiglist and figured it was a scam. It sounded too good to be true plus he mistakenly send the EXACT same message for both listings. I know this is a stupid question but what could be gained from this scam. Isn't it procedure to give someone paying you your paypal email? I figured this was a scam because he didn't ask to see pics of the listing and the way he wrote his email. But if he is offering to pay up front before picking up, how is it a scam where he could gain anything? 

Hi thanks for mailing, i am a marine engineer, i am at sea right now.
i am buying this for my personal use so am willing to offer you the
amount you required. I can only pay through PayPal at the moment as i
don't have access to my bank account online(i don't have internet
banking with it), but i have it attached to my PayPal account, and
this is why i insisted on using PayPal to pay,all i will need is your
PayPal email address to make the payments, and if you don't have a
PayPal account yet, you can set one up at www.paypal.com it cant take
you less than 3mins to do that, i will be expecting your PayPal email
so l can pay. I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up
after payments has been sorted. l will be waiting for your reply asap.
plz include your final price for the listing
Login to Me Too

Hippie
Contributor
Contributor

i too got almost the same email

the thing that i want to warn people of was the " offical " paypal emails

i recieved ....

When i looked to see where they had been sent from ,they had come from a Gmail

account ...

if u cant meet the person face to face then ignore the request ...

I played along until i had enough information to file a report with the

fraud squad ...

also the Shipping Company World Wide Speed Post is a fradulaent company

with a slew of complaints against them

this is the info for the Shipper i was to wire $250 too

Oludele Fadare

7951 riggs road h3

Hyattsville Maryland

The first email that came caught my eye because of the language used ,instead of driver ,they said mechanic

also instead of waiting to hear from u ,they said ..waiting to read from u ...

I think they use a translation program that doesnt always interpet the correct meaning

i am really **bleep** off as i was selling a item to raise money for my father who recently had a stroke

these people are scum that will take your money and u will be held responsible

Login to Me Too

Martid

I also got several emails from these people trying to purchase an item and then the phony emails from paypal and the shipping company... I wrote back and asked if they thought i was a fool and that ZI have reported them to the Federal Goverment Internet Crime Department (I did) I think if more people report  this to the government they might get caught especially since they use the same address. They are not very smart criminals

Login to Me Too

cp51475
New Community Member

These scum bags tried to get me to send $400 via Western Union. I Got the exact same emails. The Buyer seemed legit but when "Korex" shipping company stepped in and asked me to pay the freight charge for the buyer I knew it was a scam. Really disappointed in people....

Login to Me Too

theburgers3

they hack your paypal account to get your bank accounts and credit cards to steal. NEVER give someone you dont know or havent met, your paypal information. Be smart dont get **bleep**ed.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.