Am I ok?

barracuda652
New Community Member

I posted an iPhone for sale on craigslist and had an interested buyer. He told me he put money in my paypal account and I received an email saying the money was deducted from his account and that I wouldnt receive funds until I provided a tracking number. When I checked my paypal balance it was zero so I reported the email and have not shipped the item. I am worried however that my account could be hacked or something and money taken from it, or from my bank account. The balance in my paypal account is zero. Anyways, am I secure? 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Oh, and you made the smart move - it was a scam.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
20 REPLIES 20

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

You are okay as long as you didn't go to your Paypal account through a link in the email or click on any link in that email.

NEVER sign in to your Paypal account from an email link.

And, to make your Paypal account bullet-proof, visit the security center in your Paypal account and buy one of their security keys for $5.  It puts a separate, randomly-generated numerical password on your account that changes every 30 seconds and cannot be hijacked, even if the scammer has your password.

Login to Me Too
Solved

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Oh, and you made the smart move - it was a scam.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Thank you surplusdealdude for providing this valuable information

Paula

Login to Me Too

lisapickett

what do i do next i dont understand

Login to Me Too

lisapickett

paula is everything cool this is the first time i ever did this help.

Login to Me Too

lisapickett

was that a scam

Login to Me Too

brenbarr2002
Contributor
Contributor

@surplusdealdude wrote:

You are okay as long as you didn't go to your Paypal account through a link in the email or click on any link in that email.

And, to make your Paypal account bullet-proof, visit the security center in your Paypal account and buy one of their security keys for $5.  It puts a separate, randomly-generated numerical password on your account that changes every 30 seconds and cannot be hijacked, even if the scammer has your password.

@surplusdealdude wrote:

@surplusdealdude wrote:

@surplusdealdude wrote:

Is it OK to link in from ebay?

@surplusdealdude wrote:

Thank You. Oh dear, I'm hoping I'm doing this right!

Login to Me Too

randallratt
New Community Member

I have fogotten which  credit card I have with this account. All I need is the name and type of card then I can figure it out.

Login to Me Too

bkwausau46
New Community Member

I have a confirmed mailing address, but not a confirmed shipping address. I read that if I have a PayPal Smart Connect account that I should be confirmed, but that is not true. What else should I do? Also is having a verified status on my shipping address the same thing?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.