charged a fee to issue a partial refund?

northwest
Contributor
Contributor

Hello.  I refunded an eBay buyer part of a shipping fee since it turned out to not be as much as I had in the listing.  Just wanted to do the right thing/be a good seller/lower the risk for bad feedback rating.. 

I don't think fees have been charged in the past when I did a similar refund but this time for a $1 refund, the buyer got .97 cents.  Is this a standard now if so when did it change?  I didn't get the memo. 🙂

Thanks,

NW

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

The wording of the refund is misleading.

The 97 cents is from your account, the 3 cents was from paypal (thats the 3% they took for a $1.00 payment).

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9
Solved

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

The wording of the refund is misleading.

The 97 cents is from your account, the 3 cents was from paypal (thats the 3% they took for a $1.00 payment).

Login to Me Too

northwest
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!

Login to Me Too

CheriDonna
Contributor
Contributor

The seller from whom I was expecting a full $4.9 US refund; only $4.55 was given me. even though my account notes a full refund.  As the buyer, shouldn't I not get charged??

Login to Me Too

boristhekat
Contributor
Contributor

I would guess that the seller just did a "send money" transfer instead of using the

"refund" link. If so, you are paying the standard transaction fee for a regular paypal

money transfer. Many sellers are not aware that they should make all refunds from

the refund link. OR if you have a MERCHANT account with paypal and someone sends

you money paypal is charging you as if you were receiving payment for a sale. It's happened

to me numerous times and I usually don't address it because it is small change, but you

are right to be miffed.

Login to Me Too

CheriDonna
Contributor
Contributor

When someone wants to send me just $ rather than pay for something, I am not charged anything nor is the sender. If something is paid for then and only then does PayPal charge.

Login to Me Too

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@CheriDonna wrote:

The seller from whom I was expecting a full $4.9 US refund; only $4.55 was given me. even though my account notes a full refund.  As the buyer, shouldn't I not get charged??

Doing the math it looks like the seller just sent you a payment and did not refund correctly.

What the seller should have done is go to the details page of the transaction and click on the refund link.

Login to Me Too

CheriDonna
Contributor
Contributor

I told that to the merchant.  I also let PayPal know that the merchant said they'd refund the entire shipping cost of $9.99 IF I were to drop the resolution issue before June 1st. 

Login to Me Too

butterfly777
Contributor
Contributor

I came on this site to talk about all these fees & saw yours first. Believe me, they are gonna get their money!

I was looking at my fees and now they are charging fees on shipping. I'm furious. We don't know who will wins our auctions & where they will be shipped to. There are 9 zones with the USPS. I'm in S.C & if somone wins in Calf, it cost more & i lose on my end. Just 2 days ago someone got my auction of 5 pairs of name brand shorts for the starting bid of $9.99. My shipping was set at $5.20. It cost me $9.49 cents to ship, then a fee on shipping.

Well last night I found the totally best site to sell auctions & no fees! and no charge for pic's either. You just have to see advertisements that companies pay for this site to run. Well, I'm going there.

Login to Me Too

boristhekat
Contributor
Contributor

butterfly - don't keep it a secret! Let us all know where this great site is. I am sooooooo ready

to explore other options.

I felt the pinch first when ebay stopped allowing us to accept check payments. Why would they care?

Of course, because they bought paypal and want more business directed to them so best thing

is to cut off all other options.

The list goes on, but of course now the real slap in the face is charging fees on the shipping costs.

Are you kidding me????

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.