Fees on fees!

terrysbears
Contributor
Contributor

Here is what I have realized -----> When you sell on eBay and use PayPal you end up paying even more that you think and here is why: You list your item for $10 and it costs you $3 to ship it. You study everything well and you figure it will cost you 9% of the sale price to pay eBay (this does not include listing fees) and 2.9% + $.30 that will go PayPal. Totaling these will give you11.9%. You do the math and finally figure that it will cost you $1.19 to do this transaction and  you will end up with $8.81 ($10 - $1.19 = $8.81). You decide this is good enough and so with a sigh you proceed. You sell your item, get paid with PayPal, buy and print your shipping label, and send off the item you sold. You think all is well until you go look at your PayPal account and you see $9.32.

Here is what has happened so far: Paypal collected $13 from your buyer. They charge you $.68 for the transaction ($13 x 2.9% + $.30 = .68) and deduct $3.00 that you paid for shipping. So . . . 13 - 3 - .68 = $9.32

You immdedately think that's not so bad and so you go list another item. Where is the problem? YOU HAVEN'T PAID eBay YET! You have already paid fees on the $9.21 in your account but you have to pay them again. eBay will invoice you monthly and they will charge you 9% of the sale price for final value fees, so in this case, $10 x 9% = .90. When you subtract that from what you see in your account you end up with $8.42.

THE TOTAL YOU PAID TO COMPLETE THE TRANSACTION IS $1.58 or 15.8% !!!!!!!!!!!! Surprise!

The worse part of all this is that a substantial part of what you pay for every transaction is actually fees on postage and fees on fees! OUCH!

Login to Me Too
103 REPLIES 103

mia59
New Community Member
I agree...And, I just figured that out myself today! The fees we pay between eBay and PayPal are absolutely ridiculous, and I am currently looking for something new. It just doesn't seem right that they can charge such high fees...especially on shipping and handling! Something is wrong with PayPal's advertising...it's really not clear! So, if I sell something for say $.99...for example...they get  a minimum of $0.33, not including shipping & handling!  Why should I even bother? Does anyone know of any other sites that don't charge as much? Thanks.... 
@terrysbears wrote:

Here is what I have realized -----> When you sell on eBay and use PayPal you end up paying even more that you think and here is why: You list your item for $10 and it costs you $3 to ship it. You study everything well and you figure it will cost you 9% of the sale price to pay eBay (this does not include listing fees) and 2.9% + $.30 that will go PayPal. Totaling these will give you11.9%. You do the math and finally figure that it will cost you $1.19 to do this transaction and  you will end up with $8.81 ($10 - $1.19 = $8.81). You decide this is good enough and so with a sigh you proceed. You sell your item, get paid with PayPal, buy and print your shipping label, and send off the item you sold. You think all is well until you go look at your PayPal account and you see $9.32.

Here is what has happened so far: Paypal collected $13 from your buyer. They charge you $.68 for the transaction ($13 x 2.9% + $.30 = .68) and deduct $3.00 that you paid for shipping. So . . . 13 - 3 - .68 = $9.32

You immdedately think that's not so bad and so you go list another item. Where is the problem? YOU HAVEN'T PAID eBay YET! You have already paid fees on the $9.21 in your account but you have to pay them again. eBay will invoice you monthly and they will charge you 9% of the sale price for final value fees, so in this case, $10 x 9% = .90. When you subtract that from what you see in your account you end up with $8.42.

THE TOTAL YOU PAID TO COMPLETE THE TRANSACTION IS $1.58 or 15.8% !!!!!!!!!!!! Surprise!

The worse part of all this is that a substantial part of what you pay for every transaction is actually fees on postage and fees on fees! OUCH!

Login to Me Too

jill61
New Community Member

I just received my invoice I sold one item last month for $18.00 ONE ITEM and my ebay bill was $9.40.  But can I get a full and exact copy of my invoice that shows EXACTLY what I was charged for???? If I can I can't find it anywhere I am done Cancelling my accounts with EBAY!!!!  THIS IS A RIP OFF>>>>>  MAYBE THEY SHOULD BE THANKFUL WE USE THEM>   CRAIGSLIST IS FREE LIST YOUR STUFF ON THERE!!!

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

@jill61 wrote:

I just received my invoice I sold one item last month for $18.00 ONE ITEM and my ebay bill was $9.40.  But can I get a full and exact copy of my invoice that shows EXACTLY what I was charged for???? If I can I can't find it anywhere I am done Cancelling my accounts with EBAY!!!!  THIS IS A RIP OFF>>>>>  MAYBE THEY SHOULD BE THANKFUL WE USE THEM>   CRAIGSLIST IS FREE LIST YOUR STUFF ON THERE!!!

Login to your "My eBay" account, click on the "Seller Account" link in the left hand column and click on the "All account activity" link which is just below the "Current Balance" text. There you should see all recent fees charged to your eBay account.

Login to Me Too

sirjozef
Contributor
Contributor

Going elswhere, this ship is sunk. I sold two iphones and ended up paying them almost $200 between ebay and paypal. I hope these read this stuff, cause they can go jump off a cliff if they think I'm sticking around.

Login to Me Too

DICKDUFFY
New Community Member

People, Welcome to CORPORATE AMERICA.          Virtual transactions cost this much?--- from a click of the mouse

Login to Me Too

cool182327

thats my problem im selling items on ebay for 99 cents im  bearly making anything like you said after fees 33 cents but wait ebay fees another 15 cents so in the end i make 18 cents why cant paypal charge 5 cents for transation

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Lilly
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello cool182327,

Thanks for stopping by the forums. 

You might want to look into Micropayment pricing as an option.  This pricing structure is designed for merchants who process low-value transactions!

Hope this helps,

Lilly

Login to Me Too

ozzy305
New Community Member

And I just found out about something else if you return an item on ebay and payed with paypal and the seller returns your money to paypal they also charge you a fee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

@ozzy305 wrote:

And I just found out about something else if you return an item on ebay and payed with paypal and the seller returns your money to paypal they also charge you a fee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the seller properly refunds the payment by using the "Refund" link on the PayPal Transaction Details page, the buyer will not be charged a fee to receive the refund. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.