Fee charged to me

dustykyle
New Community Member

I transferred $100 to my wife and a $3.20 fee was charged.  According to the paypal website I was not supposed to be charged a fee.  both of us are in the US (Hawaii).  Why was a fee charged?  How can I resolve this?  Is there a number I can call?

This was a response in another post:

For Personal Payments, the sender can select who will pay the fee. For US PayPal members, it's free to send and receive a Personal Payment to someone in the United States in US Dollars if you use your bank account or PayPal balance as the exclusive funding source. All other Personal Payments are charged a fee.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

dustykyle
New Community Member

I just got off the phone with Paypal and they told me that the reason why my wife was charged a fee when I sent her money is that I clicked on "Personal" and then on "Money Owed".  They said I should have clicked on "Gift".  In all of the Paypal adds I have seen they say ithere are no fees when payuing your friends for money owed - Paypal needs to say that your friend will be charged a fee when you pay them back via Paypal.  Ads are an outright lie.

Login to Me Too

Bonesinsc
Contributor
Contributor

I just got off the phone with them myself as I have to pay someone a rather large amount I owe them

and want to make sure that they do NOT get charged fees.  The rep I spoke with said, it doesn't matter which specific

category you click AFTER you click PERSONAL, the ony thing that matters is that it's from a checking account AND that it's a PERSONAL payment.  I really wish I could have recorded the call as I still have my doubts about whether they seem to have a definitive policy on this.  I'll report back when I pay my friend the large amount.  I really hope I don't have to jump through any more paypal hoops.

cheers

Tony

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Lilly
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello dustykyle & Bonesinsc,

I would be glad to provide some information on personal payments. 

When you select to send funds through as a personal payment, there is no fee when the funds come from the senders bank account or PayPal account balance. 

If the sender uses their credit card to fund the payment, they would choose which party is assessed the payment. 

Hope this helps!

Lilly

Login to Me Too

jayln1mommy
New Community Member

Hello sometimes if you send money as a gift it does not charge

Login to Me Too

Bonesinsc
Contributor
Contributor

That's is essentially the problem , SOMETIMES they charge you, sometimes they don't - at least according to many

of the posters on here.  It seems like my phone rep and the rep on this board have said that there should be 

NO FEE if you use "personal" and a checking account.  

I'll let everyone know what happens when I make my next large payment via "personal".

cheers

T

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.