Bank fees

Robcarlm
Contributor
Contributor

If my primary funding source is my bank acct and my credit card is a backup, will I be charged any bank fees if I have to use the back up source

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Robcarlm -

Welcome to the Community!

PayPal does not charge a fee if your bank transfer fails and we have to charge your secondary funding source (the card, which could also be a debit card).  However, your bank might choose to do so.

When and if your bank decides to charge you a fee because they declined a transfer (the decision to decline a transfer is made by the bank) is a determination made solely by your bank.  PayPal cannot advise you on when your bank may charge a fee for a failed transfer; only the bank can do so. 

In some instances, your bank may also elect to cover a transfer if you don't have funds available when the debit is received, but will then charge you what is called an overdraft fee.  The decision to cover a transfer and instead charge an overdraft fee is also made solely by your bank.

In all of these cases, PayPal does not receive any of these fees.  They are charged solely by your bank and not by PayPal. This is the reason why these fees would not appear in your PayPal account History, as neither is PayPal charging these fees nor does your bank tell us if they charged you a fee.

To determine if you will be charged a fee by your bank, we would recommend contacting the appropriate bank and asking about when and how they choose to apply charges to your bank account for overdrafts and declined transfers due to Non-Sufficient Funds (NSF) or other declined transfers. 

They'll also be able to look into the cause of any bank fees they may have assessed against your bank account.

If you were unaware that your bank may choose to charge you these fees, or you accidentally overdrafted your account, you may be able to work out a resolution directly with the bank about the fees they have chosen to charge you.  In many cases, banks may be willing to either remove or reduce the charges they have applied.  If you were affected by an overdraft, you may also be able to opt out of being charged fees for an overdraft.

Thanks!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.