Should I return item or start dispute first?

mikrt
Contributor
Contributor

Hello community,

A few weeks ago, after seeing an ebay ad for set of car items, I contacted seller for info to confirm a few details, after agreeing a price, he sent me a paypal invoice which is how I paid for item (set of four diesel injectors). So, purchased outside of ebay, but still using paypal.

At least one of them has failed, ad stated they come with 12 month warranty, but still well within paypal's 45 days anyway.

I contacted seller to tell him about the problem, and to arrange pick-up, and also to arrange refund. He replied and has told me to return them for testing to diagnose the problem.

I am a little nervous of returning them, as once he has them, he can say anything about them and I will not have any proof. And another issue is that I don't want my car off the road for too long either.

Am I being too cautious and should I send them off, or would I be safer opening a dispute straight away (or even a chargeback).

They cost a lot of money, and if I need to purchase another set, I need to do it ASAP.

Any advice would be really appreciated, 

Mike.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Personally I would start a dispute > get the seller to put on the dispute that he is willing to REFUND on return of item before you return them (and not just examine them).

If he does not do that then escalate the dispute to a claim and wait for paypal to tell you what to do.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Personally I would start a dispute > get the seller to put on the dispute that he is willing to REFUND on return of item before you return them (and not just examine them).

If he does not do that then escalate the dispute to a claim and wait for paypal to tell you what to do.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.