Selling a personal item

samuelh_888

Hello,

I'm selling a car petrol pump, it's used and about 12 months old.  It's a private sale but the person who is purchasing it wants to pay treating the transaction as Goods & Services for PayPal Protection.

Does this apply?

Once he's received the pump there is no way to confirm he's fitted it correctly, he may damage it or decide he doesn't want it.

As a private seller where do I stand here?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@samuelh_888

Read up on seller protection and then you can risk assess your transactions.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

samuelh_888

I've read the seller protection but it's ambiguous for what it actually stands for.  Sure some who purchases a second hand (mechanical) item cant have 180 day to dispute it - if that time he may abuse the item then decide he/she doesn't want it.

The documentation (although I'm sure it's there somewhere) doesn't easily differentiate between me selling a used car part and a Business selling items. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@samuelh_888

Any buyer buying goods and using paypal has up to 180 days to open a dispute for item not received OR item received but not as described.

However that does not always mean that they would win that dispute.

It does not matter if you are a private seller or a business seller, you are selling an item and so the buyer has buyer protection. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.