Paying to a spoof website

willemien
Contributor
Contributor

I made an donation (via PayPal) on a website that looked like  the website of an organisation i wanted to support,

But I realised that the website is fake, it has nothing to do with that organisation.

How can I get my money back and what is payPal' s policy in this???

I think you should just block any payment made via such a website , or some other policy that sends my money to the right organisation.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Unfortunately there's no way to get your funds back.  PayPal won't take that responsibility.

Login to Me Too

willemien
Contributor
Contributor

It not so much about my money,

It is more about the principle.

It  feels like  PayPal is supporting  this kind of misuse sites by allowing the owner to use PayPal on them.

I guess PayPal is very strickt if it is about  spoof sites of their own,  (it would make a major outcry if they did not)

and have all kind ways to get rid of them,

But when it is about  spoof sites of other organisations PayPal  doesn't seem to mind about  allowing spoof sites to use their services.

It is not that i think Paypal takes preventative action on them but I could not even find a way to inform paypal about the existence of this spoof site  so that they can prevent future misuse of their services

Login to Me Too

tcrochford
New Community Member

I also have a problem with Paypal supporting fraudulent websites. In my case it's the King Battery Company - http://www.kingbattery.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=2092 who claim to supply 100% Genuine Samsung batteries. They are not genuine, I' not even sure if they are batteries as they don't even fit into my laptop so cannot be charged. They're supplied from China and all that Paypal has offered is to refund the cost of the battery if I return it via a tracking company. Using DHL to send it back to China will cost nearly £50.00 so I would be even more out of pocket!. I can't update the resolution centre to complain about this, all I can do is to enter a tracking number which will cost me more than the fraud. I don't feel Paypal has done anything to protect me as a buyer and, what is worse,the website is still carrying the Paypal login, which I thought offered some assurance of reliability. Any ideas on how to resolve this, or do I need to take it up via Twitter, my local MP or whatever.Like the previous post, Paypal are allowing their formerly good reputation to be rubbished because they have acquired a new reputation for running accounts for fraudsters. I'm obviously angry. If anyone from Paypal is reading this the Case ID is PP-002-224-397-416. I've no other way to contact you it seems :-(. Thomas Rochford

Login to Me Too

willemien
Contributor
Contributor

They do claim to be an english firm (that is what the .co.uk  at the end of their name means) so maybe you could say that they need an address in the UK. And that you were not able to find a return address but you are willing to send it to their  address in the UK.

Who told you to send it to China?

Login to Me Too

willemien
Contributor
Contributor

on 24 march made a complaint about ths case
SAXK (KMM41858157V17974L0KM)

Today I received a message that my complaint was lost or so

(ID: C826-L003-T18000-S111-W0000M0) (KMM42895404V6992L0KM)

I replied with a copy of the draft of my complaint and now got a message

SAXK (KMM42901061V14034L0KM)

that I am back at the end of the queue (All complaints are dealt with in the order they?re received).

Can i now have to wait another 4 weeks??
or will Paypal act quicker?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.