Item of poor quality - eBay UK business seller, is actually chinese.

marineio
Contributor
Contributor

My sister bought a charger from a UK seller back in June - within 2 weeks the insulation had pulled from the charger body, and about 2 weeks ago the actual adapter plug started intermittently working and has now completely stopped working.

As the seller was a UK business seller, I sent them a message asking ifthey would replace -- they replied only if we paid £3. As far as I am aware, the UK Sale of Goods Act applied to the Buy it Now item from a business - however, it turns out this seller is actually in China and not in the UK at all, which changes things a bit!

Paypal auto-closed the dispute as it was past the 45 day limit, and we now have no contact with the seller on eBay. eBay support said we could chargeback through Paypal, however it seems this is not the case. The phone number provided by eBay is a London (020) based number, but does not connect when phoned.

Why are Paypal not supporting the buyers who receive shoddy goods, and instead supporting the sellers selling these shoddy, even dangerous items? Why are eBay allowing a chinese seller to pose as a UK business seller?

Is there any way to get her money back from this through eBay or Paypal? Do we have to go to the card issuer which Paypal withdrew from?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_lucy

Hey there,

As its over the 45 day timeframe then your only option would be to contact your card issuer and see if there is any protection there that can be offered.

I can only speak on the PayPal side of things, so although the case has been closed due to timeframes it has been marked on the sellers account and will remain on that account for the lifetime of it. The more cases reported against a seller the better when it comes to investigating them.

Come back and let us know how your sister gets on.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.