Buyer opened case, but hasn't responded in weeks. How long until case is closed automatically?

joehickman1991
Contributor
Contributor

A buyer opened a case on an item that was listed on Ebay. Sale did not go through Ebay, but Paypal payment only. I have responded to the buyer, who said he wanted part refund and keep the item. I said I would offer part back and he can keep the item, or alternatively he would need to send me the item back in the exact same condition as was received, and I will offer full refund once this is done, but haven't heard anything back from them for weeks. I've since chased again, but still not heard anything back. How long before the case is closed automatically if the buyer does not respond to me at all? If it closes automatically, will it close in MY favour if the buyer is the one who hasn't responded? It hasn't been escalated to Paypal yet, could that be worth doing? I've got plenty of evidence to back my side of the story up over the buyers and think he's just chancing his arm at getting the item for free. 

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@joehickman1991

Paypal don't get involved until a case is escalated.

Disputes 'time out' if not escalated at 20 days (unless its an international transaction when it can be longer).

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

joehickman1991
Contributor
Contributor
If the dispute times out, do the funds become available to me? Or does the buyer get refunded entirely? As I’m sure this guy is trying to scam me.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@joehickman1991

As i said paypal only get involved if the buyer escalates to a claim.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

joehickman1991
Contributor
Contributor
So to confirm, when the case times out after 20 days, the funds will be eligible to me again?
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Jenny

Hi there, 

Thank you for your post!

The dispute is a preliminary phase where buyer and seller can communicate with each other by posting messages in the Resolution Centre trying to reach an amicable solution. If the buyer doesn't escalate into a claim, the dispute automatically expires in 20 days from when it was opened. When the dispute closes the money will be released and you will receive a notification email. 

I hope this helps. 

Jenny 

Se hai trovato utile questa risposta, lascia per cortesia un Kudos o accettala come soluzione. Il tuo contributo nel forum aiuta altri utenti.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.