trying to get a refund for a broken hairdryer....

jroooooot
Contributor
Contributor

I convinced my sister to buy a hairdryer for $70 that had great new technology for her thick hair. She was sceptical but I assured her EBay was safe.

The hairdryer arrived and I gave it to her. Weeks later she told me she didn't like it and gave it back. No wonder! It was broken and only ran cold. She thought it was the new technology. I contacted the seller and she refused to help since it was 33 days past the purchase...a technicality that should not be used for a broken item. I scheduled a dispute with Ebay and they were great..return the dryer in 3 days and get a refund.

However, as luck would have it I went into hospital and was very ill for several weeks. I got the hair dryer returned after 10 days and notified the seller. Now it was too late for a refund.

So I understand rules, they are necessary. But in light of the thing being fully BROKEN, and me not having the health to meet the 3 day standard and it being a $70.00+  purchase, I would think that a reasonable person would refund and not hide behind a short 3 day rule. Many retailers would be happy to replace a broken item.  I appealed the decision but EBay would not help me. It's not as if I just didn't like the item, IT WAS SENT BROKEN!

Now they have the hairdryer and the money. I don't even get the chance to find someone to repair it, and my sister is pretty upset and will never use EBay again, unfortuantely I won't either. EBay has been good to me since 1984, but this has proven that there are too many things that can go wrong when ordering online...$70 is a lot of money to a small person like me. I have to pay my sister back since I got her into this and I have some moral standards.

Is there no help for the sick? Is there anything I can do?????

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.