Why to I have to pay return shipping on an Item I recieved that was fake ??

jdlkreations01
Contributor
Contributor

So I was scammed on Ebay for an item from China from a seller with 100% feedback till now anyways  ...... A 14k gold and diamond ring. What I received was a .925 Silver and Zirconia ring ... More like a ring from a  bubble gum machine ........didnt even look like the one I purchased .....Paypal has decided the case in my favor but now I have to return the item at my cost ? All the way back to China  The seller scammed over 100 people in just a few days and he was removed from selling on Ebay. I kept getting an error when trying to file my case on Ebay ( page unavailable try again later ) so I filed it on Paypal......Ebay is not requiring the people to send the item back...I have been in email contact over the last week with several of them and they have told me this.....Anyways, I am going to be out the money to return the fake item that is worth $1.00 and think buyer protection needs to be changed a bit to cover this for the buyers !!!

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

If you funded the paypal payment with a credit ard, call the card company and see if you can do a chargeback.

They may allow the chargeback with out the return of the ring.  Some do, and some don't.

Login to Me Too

jdlkreations01
Contributor
Contributor

unfortunately it came out of money I had sitting in Payapl 😞 Thanks for answering though !!! 

Login to Me Too

mobilexile
New Community Member

I had a similar experience recently with a purchase made outside eBay. PayPal wanted me to fund return shipping (approximately $100) on an item thag was poorly packaged and damaged as a result. It's been several years since I've had a transaction iss that PayPal / eBay gave me the middle finger on. I've resolved to now only use PayPal when other means are not available. This is a shame as I incorporated trheir services into payment for my PTO, community education classes, sports fees, etc. eBay / PaylPal is short sighted in this respect. It's a porrly run company.

Login to Me Too

jdlkreations01
Contributor
Contributor

That is what I dont understand ~ Why if the buyer is not at fault are we required to pay for return shipping ? When something is damaged like your case ~mobilexhile ~ or in my case I ( along with several others ) have been  taken advantage by a CON ARTIST .........The sold called buyer/seller protection is totally bull !!  I am also a seller on Ebay and I have never ever required one of my customers to  pay return shipping on an item even though my listings say they will have too.......If the item is damaged I take responsibility or if the item is not as described I take responsibility.....Ebay and Paypal are taking enough money for their fees and now even charge us sellers a fee on shipping !!! I now have to charge more for my items I sell to make up for what I lose on shipping and I only charge what it costs to ship !! But still get charge 12% on top of that from Ebay.......Makes no sense to me !! I am now moving my items to another site and working on getting a credit card machine to process payments through my bank or hey......  I can even get one thru Sams Club LOL ~  I will also no longer  be a buyer on Ebay and will look for other sites to find an item and use a credit card to pay or debit card so I can stop payment or try and do a charge back as suggested earlier ~ Its gotten to the point that us LITTLE FISH can not swim in the same pond as the BIG FISH .........I think BOTH Paypal and Ebay need to remember that without us Little fish that have been here since the beginning that THEY would not be in business !!! WE the buyers and  honest sellers have boosted their business........The way it is now they might as well move ther headquarters over seas because they will only have customers and sellers from there !!!  There now that that is said I will be on my way .........To search for MY  American dream and find the right place to do my business with !!! 🙂

Login to Me Too

Joe123

The problem is that you would have to many buyers claiming the item was wrong/fake/whatever just so they could return the item to the seller and not have to pay any return shipping on a item that they simply decided they did not want.

basically it is open to abuse and paypal knows this.

the other problem would be how do you prove the cost of shipping and paypal would have to manually review every single transaction, confirm that is really the cost (not a fake receipt) and this would also cause problems.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.