Undelivered merchandise -- bogus seller? fake PayPal references and e-mail?

dmenacer
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased a tool from a company site that indicated it used PayPal.  Part of my reason for making the purchase was thinking they were legit/secure if using PayPal.  I was not a PayPal member at the time.  Got a confirmation e-mail from PayPal a receipt number and my credit card was charged with a charge with a PayPal tag.  A few days later I set up a PayPal account.  After no merchandise received I sent the seller an e-mail.  No response.  I just now did an internet search and found a couple of references to the company no longer in business.  I tried to "dispute" the charge on the PayPal site, but found that the transaction was not on my account and that the "confirmation" number I received did not fit the format for PayPal transactions numbers.  Just sent the seller an e-mail saying order was cancelled as they had not delivered or responded to inquiries.

Is this possibly a fraudulent "PayPal" transaction?  Is it possibly legit, but just not on my account as I was not a PayPal member when I made the purchase?  Can I dispute it within PayPal.  Should I just dispute it on my credit card site?  Etc.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Joe123

you can try to contact paypal directly by phone with the information you have available to see if they can locate the transaction. Otherwise if not, then call your CC company ASAP.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

Joe123

you can try to contact paypal directly by phone with the information you have available to see if they can locate the transaction. Otherwise if not, then call your CC company ASAP.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.