Looking to gather feedback from PayPal users

PayPal_Colin
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Greetings, all --

My name is Colin Rule, and I am PayPal's Director of Online Dispute Resolution.

I am currently working with the Customer Advocacy team to gather feedback on aspects of our Risk Management systems that are generating user frustration.

The areas I am most interested in include:

1. Payment holds / reviews

2. Payment declines

3. Limitations / restrictions

4. Buyer and seller protections

5. The Resolution Center (disputes/claims)

6. Chargebacks / bank declines

If you have experience with one of these processes and you'd like to provide some constructive feedback on how to make it better, please post a message in this thread or email me at crule{at}paypal.com. 

Please note: I do not work in customer support, so I will not be able to help with individual disputes, claims, or limitations.  I am more interested in feedback about how our overall systems can be improved so as to minimize frustration moving ahead.

Many thanks!  I hope to hear from many of you soon.

Colin

Login to Me Too
110 REPLIES 110

what was frustrating for me was trying to change my name after i got married. i dont have access to a fax machine, and there was no way to simply do so online. i ended up cancelling that Paypal account, and creating a new one.

another headache was trying to change my address and get it confirmed. i just hope that when i move again, i wont have to go through all the hassle just to have an unconfirmed address. >.<

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Colin
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

oscarthegrouch--

Yes, I think when the fax capability was added it was intended to make life easier for users by not requiring them to mail everything in... but now, as faxes become less common, I can see how it would be a major pain for people without ready access to a fax machine.  We're integrating file and image upload functionality to our flows, but it's not spreading fast enough.  I'll share your comment with the vetting team.

The identity stuff is complicated... we have to be incredibly throrough in vetting all of that, because we're custodians of private financial information, but we don't want to frustrate our users while we're doing it.  My mom wrote me an angry email a year ago because her PayPal email changed and she forgot her password, and she got frustrated trying to figure out what to do.  I told her, it's complex because we're trying to protect your account!  But she'd have none of it.  It's a difficult thing to thread that needle.

Thanks for the response.

Colin

Login to Me Too

Bliss800
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, Colin,

I faced one situation wherein I received a broken piece of equipment (it was obviously glued back together when I opened the package). Paypal ultimately refused to refund my purchase price (about $500).

In the end the shipper picked up the cost because the package had arrived crushed. BUT ... the broken part arrived with glue on it. SO the shipper didn't try to glue it back together, repackage the item in the crushed box and send it to me.

Clearly, the seller broke the item prior to shipping and attempted to fix it.

It was unfair for Paypal to deny coverage. I had filed in a timely fashion and followed all channels.

Hope Paypal continues to improve.

Bliss800

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Colin
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi, Bliss800 -- thanks for the post.

When did this situation happen?  I'm surprised PayPal would decide against you in a not-as-described case when you received a broken item, unless the original listing made clear that it was repaired in that fashion.  Maybe it's because the item was quite high value... was the break of a nature that it would significantly reduce the value of the item, or was it on a minor part?  Was it an item like a vase, or a tool that was rendered unusable?  The significance of the damage seems a key question to me, and whether the break-and-repair was described in the original listing.

I'm glad the shipper picked up the cost.  It sounds like they got their money refunded when they filled out a shipping insurance claim, but the glue sounds quite suspicious.  Why would the seller ship the item in a crushed box if they'd tried to fix it?  Seems like that would be a dead giveaway that they were trying to cover something up.  Maybe this seller is just incompetent in trying to cover up their surreptitious repairs.

I'd be happy to look into it further if you want to send me the transaction details -- crule{at}paypal.com.

Colin

Login to Me Too

Billy1957
Contributor
Contributor

I was scamed please halp, Maybe I fix New way of scam

Can you-halp me , I have website and got payment from  person , I was fix that this payment is fraud and I maked refaund, but  after  one day I fix that this person who was pay to me was used my paypal acount and was maked payment by Account withdrawals, so curently this person make eCheck payment from my bank acount to my paypal, but information in payment was about this person Full name, email adress,  after 3-5 days, money was taked paypal from my bank acount and was transfered this person as refaund from me ( paypal have tehnical problems if scamers can order payment by withdraul and full own info as buyer that is will be refaund that they get it in his acount HOW IT CAN BE????????????????? I think money mat reter where they was taken), it is crazy, this person scamed me and I cannot find now ay how i can cansel this, I was alredy 2 time scamed so way

can Everyone-halp me????????????????

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Colin
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Billy1957--

So sorry to hear about this situation!

Email me the details at crule{at}paypal.com and I'll ask customer service to look into it.

Colin

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

I have to say, you're a glutton for pinishment, Colin.Smiley Very Happy

If you want a ton of feedback on the 21-day hold, post this thread on the ebay section as well.

Wear your asbestos suit when you read the replies, though.

Login to Me Too

luvstampin
Contributor
Contributor

Surplusdude has a valid point. That is a very touchy and sometimes nasty subject on some of those threads. .

I personally understand why the holds are in place and I do not have an issue with them. There are going to be some that will never understand and only see it as they are being attacked.

Maybe it would help some understand it better if Paypal would put out a reason as to why the holds s had to come in effect to cut down on the sellers taking the money and running thing. And put it in words that everyone can understand.

It might help a few realize they the holds can be a good  thing.

Also if there is a way when new sellers start selling that have to read before accepting payments so they cannot say they knew nothing about it.

Thank you Colin for everything you are doing to make Paypal a better place for us.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Also if there is a way when new sellers start selling that have to read before accepting payments so they cannot say they knew nothing about it.

I think it already states that a hold may be implemented on the Sell Your Item form, but some people aren't very good at reading.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Colin
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Thanks, luvstampin and surplusdealsdude.

I know all about the pain associated with the holds.  We're getting an earful every day in Omaha and on the account management side.  The irony is that eBay is the one pushing to expand them -- not PayPal.  But PayPal gets the blame, because we're the venue for the action.  I think eBay wants to move more in line with Amazon's model, where sellers have their funds held as a matter of course.

I'd like to avoid having eBay's risk management decisions affect PayPal's relationship with our users, but I guess it's all too connected at this point.  And we do need to keep our shared marketplace safe.  I just don't like anything that generates such consistent frustration -- seems like we should be able to find a way to solve the problem without generating this much churn.

I appreciate the comment (and the nice compliment, luvstampin).  Let me know if I can help with any issues you come across.

Colin

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.