HELP!! regarding return of pirated software

armysweitzer
New Community Member

Please help!

I recently purchased Rosetta Stone software and paid through paypal.  Upon recieving the software I realized that it was a counterfeit copy.  I filed a dispuit through paypal which the seller rejected.  I then received an email from the seller that yes it was counterfeit and he had not realized it.  He said to send it back and would issue me a refund.  I told the seller I am not comfortable doing this...as I did not trust he would give me my refund and having the item in hand is my only proof that it is counterfeit.  (I feel that seller may be trying to hide the evidence).  The seller said no way, I must send back the item first-- to track it through paypal and that paypal would guarantee that I get a refund (however seeing how easily he rejected my first claim makes me nervous that I will not get my money back).

Please advise as to what I can do.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

marky
New Community Member

How can I cancel subscription payments made by Pay Pal to Click Bank for a subscription I want to discontinue 

thanks Marky

Login to Me Too

Dustie
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Post this question in Pay Pal help rather then here.  AS it's posted now it's on the end of someone else's question and won't get seen in it's own right.

I think it would be an easy one to answer if you search Pay Pals Help.  Good Luck!

Dustie

Login to Me Too

Dustie
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, If you raised the disput through Pay Pal, then they froze the amount you paid the seller until the dispute is resolved.  As long as you respond to the seller through the pay Pal dispute windows so there's a record of it, then you can send the software back and the seller is obligated to send you a refund unless he wants to fight it through Pay Pal.  Since he already admitted to it being counterfit, if the admit was through the Pay Pal email system, then he'd have no other choice but to refund you the money.  Pay Pal's should already have it frozen and wouldn't be giving it back to him anytime soon.

If he admited it was counterfit through a personal email and not through Pay Pal, then have him admit it using the Pay Pal contact dispute window.  THat way you'll have a record of him having told you it was counterfit so you can then demand a refund and Pay Pal will back you up when you raise the dispute to a higher level in Pay Pal.

Login to Me Too

D83
New Community Member

It is unfortunate that PayPal has this standard "You pay to return it, get a refund, all is well" answer.

It is not ok that they are selling pirated software, but PayPal probably doesn't care.  They get their transaction fees and they are happy.

There needs to be a better form of recourse for fraudulent sellers in my opinion.

Now you will lose whatever it costs to ship it back to the seller and you will not have the product you paid for and expected weeks ago.

And the seller?  They will probably sell it to someone else and hope that that buyer doesn't notice/care.  They lost nothing, why wouldn't they do it again?

Sorry to hear about your situation, I hope you get a better resolution than I did.

Maybe they should change the name to PayThief?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.