possible scam

Lucy2521
New Community Member

I think I may have been scammed.  I ordered a chair from a website <removed> with an address in Minnesota and they wanted to be paid with paypal.  When I got the paypal receipt it had foreign writing on it (Chinese I think).  Now when I try to go to the website, it says it has timed out and try again later.  Is there anyway I can get my money back?

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi @Lucy2521,

Sorry to hear this has happened. If you have yet to receive the item you purchased or the item you purchased is significantly different from what was described, you can file a dispute through PayPal by following the steps listed here: https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ1344. If you are unable to resolve your dispute directly with the seller, then it is important that you escalate this dispute to a PayPal claim within 20 days. By escalating this dispute to a claim, you are asking PayPal to investigate the dispute and determine its outcome. If the dispute is not escalated to a claim within 20 days, then it will automatically be closed.

I hope this helps,

Siobhan

Login to Me Too

Zoegirl7666
Contributor
Contributor
Yes I stupidly fell for this scam on Ohowoo also. I bought 2 camp chairs for $125.97 on 5/12/20. I am in a PayPal dispute with them. I’m surprised PayPal doesn’t do a better job of screening out their vendors. I am praying that PayPal refunds my money as I feel they should have reputable sellers using their services.
Login to Me Too

Bill_S
Contributor
Contributor

It appears that Ohowoo has been replaced by fifthsea.com - Same product, same price. The address listed comes up at an intersection in a residential neighborhood.

Login to Me Too

JaguarDavis
Contributor
Contributor
Me too. Same price but from fifthsea.com. Receipt has Chinese all over it. PayPal should be held responsible for allowing this to happen.
Login to Me Too

Tinafey
New Community Member
I spent 183 and got scammed. I filled a dispute and PayPal sided with the seller. They clearly didn’t do any investigation, I am so mad. Did you all see this?? https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.ohowoo.com Is there anything I can do???
Login to Me Too

freppa85
Contributor
Contributor

It seems to be A LOT of scams going on right know one Facebook and Instagram.

The webpages are always new and they have almost the same content. Singing pumpkins, ghost projections, santa climbing on stars against the christmas tree.
They are always "US owned and operated" and have 50 % off or buy 2 and get 3 etc. Mine also sad "Made in the UK"
AFTER the i payed with paypal i could see something about it gonna show up on my bank as "PAYPAL *CHINA BASE"".
I have opened and dispute now because I havnt received anything since 8th september. Not a single confirmation e-mail.
But two days after i opened the dispute the seller who has changed e-mail on the account ( both gmail.com ) changed the status to delivered and put a track ID. 10 days after it should have arrived because i payed for "Express shipping".
The status on the dispute is that Paypal is "Waiting for answer from seller. Last expected day for an answer is 4th october."
I wounder whats gonna be in the package. I guess it not will be some singing pumpkins and I have to change the dispute from "item not received" to something else.

Login to Me Too

PeteTheCat
Contributor
Contributor

Same here, I ordered three halloween pumpkins from them on Sept 6th and they were supposed to arrive within 15 business days. today is OCt 14th and those are not even dispatched yet. Every time I contact them and tell them I want refund they just say that they will "ship it soon." I do not want it shipped at all, it is past the promised delivery date they - I do not wish to receive the product when Halloween is over - it is a seasonal item.  PayPal is not helpful at all, so I called my credit card company and they told me they will take care of the refund. But hey... the wife was waiting for these for a month. I hope these scammers get stuffed. And a big FU for PayPal and Facebook for allowing scammers operate on their platforms.

The company name is CB CO.,LTD and what I saw on my bank statement is "PAYPAL *CHINA BASE" .  Beware, it is a SCAM! 

Login to Me Too

freppa85
Contributor
Contributor
Paypal is still on ” We review the information”. The package has arrived to customs and they sent me a letter telling me that i have to pay around 10 dollars. Or it will be sent back. Could be a good thing so i dont have to worry about paying extra for returning it. Paypal says it should be resolved by 26th october. And customs wants the money before 28th october.
Login to Me Too

PeteTheCat
Contributor
Contributor

The very same company is now operating the same scam via a different name - HoneySky. Their webpage is http://honeysky.net/  . What makes me sad is to see that their post on Facebook has been shared 14k times. It means that they are spending big on Facebook advertising, with the money you paid them for fake pumpkins. So the very same fake pumpkin scammers are pulling the exact same trick but this time is with a product called "Halloween Holographic Projection" I am expecting to see hundreds of people complaining here.

I believe they now have 60 active ads on Facebook and their video has been seen 3.2 million times!! this is their page - https://www.facebook.com/Honeysky-117896043163324/ 

What **bleep** me off most, is the fact that PayPal and Facebook are actively allowing for this to happen. Even if you report the page, they don't do anything. They don't take it out, the adverts are still going strong.

scam.JPG

If you've fallen for the scam already and the product is being shipped to you, try to intercept the package and refuse it. If you've received a form from customs to pay a fee, just don't pay it. What you will get will not be what they are advertising . My wife fall for it, so this is a first hand experience. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.