fraud in china

gusart
Contributor
Contributor

has anyone else had the misfortune of purchasing a bluetooth camera from

Highlife Technology Ltd.

<removed> Yongfu Street, Bao'an District Shenzhen, Guangdong 518000 C2only to receive a $3 cheap chinese orca camera and after complaining to PayPal to be told to returning register the $3 camera at a cost of $21 and ...

Login to Me Too
22 REPLIES 22

playgroundtwist
New Community Member

yup. got me too. got the link at fb. sent the cheap camera. well if I am out of xxx amount of money, I will make sure they get fooked too.

Login to Me Too

gusart
Contributor
Contributor

mate PayPal are well aware of the problem that is why you get an immediate response in your favour but the catch is you have to return and the same expense and your claim before you get your refund unless you sign up for their extra protection to cover return postage which would cover the fees that PayPal lose by giving a refund in  the first place 

Login to Me Too

Jayann90
New Community Member
There selling wigs too under the name Aaliyah and Olivia too.
Login to Me Too

TESpree
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, they are selling wigs too.....I own a wig store "HighLife Hair" and I have received at least a dozen calls from people  who bought from this scammer looking for their wigs! One call  was the husband of a very ill cancer patient.  Its so sad that the are doing this and PayPal won't shut their account down.   Paypal said to make sure everyone who calls me ...call them and report fraud.

Login to Me Too

Dragonoffoos
Contributor
Contributor
Yes, they got me too. After several attempts to reach the seller, only to receive a "mailbox full" message (in Chinese), I was forced to dispute the purchase. I hope we all get our money back. I noticed that there was an outfit out of England with the same offer (probably Chinese immigrants).
Login to Me Too

gusart
Contributor
Contributor

same bait and switch company 

Login to Me Too

mhenry1
Contributor
Contributor

I got caught with this FB ad scam too.  Same scenario, with PayPal, party to the transaction in pocketing seller fees and currency transfers, were able to 'Find in the favour of the seller' within days of return dispatch. PayPal's advised email address, and company address 163 Fengtang Ave, 518103c2 don't work for me, yet PayPal can communicate with the seller? I did, after a fashion, get my Royal Mail return shipping paid by PayPal's associated system, but still down the $39.99....

Login to Me Too

gqbyte69
New Community Member

I was a victim of this scam too.  Got an item that is totally different than what was advertised.  Filed a case using the resolution center and the merchant is asking for the items to be shipped back.  I just found out that the shipping cost is even more expensive than the refund amount that I am requesting.  I lost $29.00 just like that.

Login to Me Too

gusart
Contributor
Contributor

after a bit of research into the scam companies ,I conclude that if you check they will only use PayPal for payment and if that is the case do not buy from them if they accept other forms of payment such as credit card direct chances are it is an honest seller as you could get your money back from credit card provider , but the scam companies only use PayPal because PayPal WILL always side with them and demand you go to the unreasonable expense to return their junk to get your money back or you could buy some PayPal insurance to cover part of the return post " I think to cover palpal's loss of fees 'so in my opinion people remember if they oNLY accept PayPal stay away from them 

Login to Me Too

Mikanmart
Contributor
Contributor

Given the obvious frauds , and the less obvious ones (item shown as delivered on tracking but no courier name available to dispute this) would it not be a good idea to complain , or at least bring it to the attention of The Chinese Embassy Commercial Attache ? The blatant dishonesty now being shown by a lot of Chinese traders is going to spoil their very lucrative export market .

The sad thing is that I buy a lot from China with no problem at all , but have now fallen foul of one of their biggest proxy buying outfits (Banggood) and have not been entirely successful in getting redress , leaving me with the only alternative of doing no more buying from them . It also means that all such sites now have to be viewed with suspicion . It looks like once they have established a name for themselves , they let their standards drop----I have taken this up in another post on here entitled "Are the trading standards of the Chinese sellers falling" or something similar .

Not all the Chinese traders are dishonest and in fact they can be far more helpful than many Western sellers . I have had some very good bargains from them with impeccable service , so don't give up on them . 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.