cheap ring instead of a Swing Garden chair

aholtannoyed
Contributor
Contributor

I have also fell victim of the cheap metal ring instead of a garden chair scam, I am being asked to pay the return postage to an address written in Chinese.  PayPal are not helping me, as first I said I didn't receive the item, because I hadn't, the seller provided a shipping number so PayPal closed the case.  When pushed  I finally got a tracking number for Royal mail, when I search for it, it showed  date I had received the parcel, I remember I have received a cheap gold ring in the post, I checked shipping number and it matched the one PayPal had.  I sent the images of the packing and the ring to PayPal  thinking great I will now get my money back.  I was wrong now I am being asked to return the ring, this will cost me at least £12.  The seller had the cheek to contact me saying if I withdraw my complaint they will refund me 60% of my money back.  I shared the details of this email with PayPal  but they are insisting I can't get my money back until I return the ring.  Now I have come on here to find this has happened to lots of people, so why aren't PayPal doing anything about it.  Never again will I use this PayPal, Buyer Protection what a joke that is. Shame on you PayPal.

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

tholor1968
Contributor
Contributor

I had exactly the same issue.

Paypal kept the case open and then kept moving the response date..its still open by the way!!

They have now advised it is closed as the seller provided a tracking number (for the gold ring)...

I paid with Paypal so if anything went wrong my money would be safe!

It's a joke, I have messaged them again and am now awaiting another 72 hours.

Come on paypal sort it out!

Login to Me Too

aholtannoyed
Contributor
Contributor

I'm still fighting this, I was lucky I kept the packaging of the ring, so I can show the tracking number is on a small parcel bag, which obviously couldn't fit a garden chair in.  The latest development is that I have to print a form, fill it in, then take a photo of it, and send it back to them.  I'm not sure why I need to print it, I have no access to a printer as I am working from home, we are in local lockdown, so I can pop round to my friends house to ask them to print it, we are being asked to only travel if it's essential, so I can't go to a shop.  Not sure why they can't just send me an online form, with a declaration tick box,  instead of a signature, which is used on legal documents all over the world.  I have cut and pasted the form, created a PDF and sent that, so hopefully this is acceptable.  I'll let you know what happens.  I did find 79 other people in the Paypal Community who have been sent the same ring, instead other items.  Therefore PayPal must be aware of this scam.  Good luck hope you get a refund, I have contacted my bank, who are now dealing with the issue.

Login to Me Too

maggie012
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same thing. Ordered a patio set and received a ring in a ring box. Fortunately I won my case and got a refund including my postage. I returned the ring which cost £10.60. I have been tracking the parcel and China post have tried to deliver it at least five times and there's no-one to receive it. I don't understand why it has to be posted back or what happens to it if it's not delivered. Don't give up some do win their case

Login to Me Too

aholtannoyed
Contributor
Contributor

thank you, I will keep going.  I have now been told I can have my money back if I fill in the form, which I have now sent to them via email, I haven't had a reply and they have closed my chat converstation.

I don't understand why PayPal want to waste further money refunding postage.

Hopefully they will reply to me today.  

Login to Me Too

Jpt2
Contributor
Contributor
Threaten to take PayPal to the media with all their tactics. Their website guarantees that your money is safe they are commuting fraud as this is a false statement. I went on their chat line and threatened this and got my money back straight away. PayPal don’t read their emails. Good luck
Login to Me Too

aholtannoyed
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your advice,  I will try that, I work in a large University so I will let the know our 25,000 students and 6000 staff will be made aware of my issues with PayPal via our website. 

Login to Me Too

Jpt2
Contributor
Contributor
Yes keep going with it. They hope you will give up
Login to Me Too

aholtannoyed
Contributor
Contributor

oh I will, I'll be like a dog with a bone,ha ha 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.