You can't use paypal anymore....

mersh21
Contributor
Contributor

So I just got notified that I've been banned from Paypal.  

I've had my account for years.  Never, ever, ever had any issues.  I don't sell anything, I don't use ebay.  I don't go and launder money anywhere.  I literally do nothing except use paypal to buy things online from places like amazon, video game microtransactions, and Fanduel/Draft.  

That's it.  

Last weekend, I was alerted via text of a transaction that was marked suspicious.  I accidentally typed Yes thinking it was something I actually bought, and quickly realized it was something I had no idea of.  I immediately called Paypal and a very helpful person got everything set up for a dispute.  Less than 24 hours later, after contacting the "seller", Paypal ruled in my favor, and would issue me a refund in 8 business days.  

Hadn't touched it in 48 hours.  

Then I get an email saying my account is permanently limited because of "potential risk associated with it".  

That's it.  No explanation, no nothing.  My "refund" is gone for 180 days, and now I'm unable to use Paypal for anything since all my bank accounts and cards were linked to it as I've had Paypal since its creation.  

Looking around on here, I see all the other threads on this topic are from people admitting to violating ToS.  I can't admit that since I didn't violate anything.  

So my question now is, can I actually successfully appeal this ban?  If so, does anyone know who has?  

How they can just instantly ban someone with no communication, when if someone reports another use they actually get a chance to defend themselves is beyond me.  I've been a faithful and compliant user for over a decade.  

How is this fair, and what can I do about it?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mersh21

PayPal reserves the right to not offer you services/sever customer/business ties between you and them. The reason your acct was banned is because of the "potential risk associated with it".  First you acknowledged the transaction as ok and then turn right around and say it is not so instead of risking this happening again, and having to refund (lose money) PayPal decided to close your account. Now you can certainly try to contact customer service to have them reconsider reinstating your account but if they do not want to, there is not much you can do. Just wait the 180 days for withdraw. You can also speak with customer service to let you withdraw the funds sooner since it was a refund and not a sales payment that someone can dispute within 180 days.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

mersh21
Contributor
Contributor
I of course they can do it that, it just seemed weird when I have no history of such claims. I realize from their end my actions Sunday seemed fishy. I did gladly sit through the 45 minute wait and spoke with a lovely and helpful woman named Rose who took my comments and made an appeal so I guess we will see how things go. The major thing is I would lose practically most all of my online purchasing ability that requires PayPal because all of my cards, accounts, numbers, and addresses are associated with this account so there’d be no way to skirt the ban and create a new account like I see others do, with the same abilities my current account had. I mentioned that as well to Rose, to put in my appeal that I’ve had this account from PayPal’s first day and why would I risk losing it over suddenly trying to be fraudulent. Either way, thanks for the reply, hopefully it all works out.
Login to Me Too

anthonyvlayne
I’m having this same issue i have been permanently banned over $275 that i tried to withdraw to my bank. I might have to get lawyers involved. Paypal have closed 3 of my accounts down for no reason at all. **bleep** this.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.