Why doesn't Paypal READ my side of the story?

dogla
Contributor
Contributor

I recently bought a used printer off of Ebay. Now in the listing the seller mentioned "NO RETURNS ACCEPTED". So I thought ok fine, since it should be 100% working order as he states I'm OK with that. It's a huge printer after all, would be a hassle to send back. When the printer arrived I was in process of moving to another country and didn't get the chance to test out the printer and I also thought well if it doesn't work I'll just claim my funds back. Big mistake. After a month I finally settled and was going to kickstart my startup printing "business". And of course, I'm greeted with an error message on the printer saying there's a problem with the scanner unit. Contacted seller and he's willing to refund me AFTER I've sent the printer back. I made a video of the printer to show him what the printer is doing and he insists I send it back for the refund. Now to send something that big back to the USA would cost me $234 and I have told him that numerous time. Keep insisting to send it back. Now I opened a Paypal dispute and mentioned this same thing in the case details. And what do you know, the seller get's his wishes granted. I'm supposed to send the printer back for the refund, even if the seller has specifically mentioned in the listing NO RETURNS ACCEPTED. I even asked in the case who will reimburse me the $234 I'm supposed to pay for the shipping back, after which Paypal just closed the case in favor of the seller. Now I'm out $180, and if I was going to send the printer back I would be out an additional $234. Even IF, and that's a big IF cuz the seller could also say that he didn't ship the printer the way he received it and I would not get my refund. Either way I would loose ALL my investment. Also why does the seller get to see the details I put in the message but I can't see what he sent?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dogla 

If you had opened an Ebay dispute for item received but not as described within 30 days and before you left the country then the seller under ebays policy would have had to send you a return shipping label to return the item back to them for a full refund. The sellers 'no return policy' only applies to buyer remorse and not items that don't work on receipt.

However you waited over 30 days so could only open a Paypal dispute and paypal states this..........

IMPORTANT: You may be required to return the item to the seller or other party we specify as part of the settlement of your claim. PayPal Buyer Protection does not entitle you to reimbursement for the return shipping costs that you may incur.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ3544

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.