When a decision "in your favor" is not

UnhappyUser777
New Community Member

I know it's useless to post this, but I have been so frustrated and anxious I have to go somewhere. Please beware of PayPal's "resolution" process.

To sum up, the seller shipped an incorrect item and then refused to issue a prepaid shipping label to me to send it back. The issue was not "can I return this for a refund," the issue was "will the seller pay return shipping?"

PayPal's decision? Yes, I am entitled to return the item for a refund...at my own expense.

The cost to return the package would be $37-$50, depending on the shipper. (The order cost $53.)

This automated system never allowed me to explain the real problem, never gave me a chance to interact with a real human being and explain. I have asked many people and no one's ever heard of a seller NOT paying return shipping if it's their mistake. I feel I've been scammed and PayPal is allowing it while pretending to decide "in my favor."

If I'd paid with a REAL credit card, this would have been handled in one phone call. Lesson - only use PayPal if you have no other choice.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@UnhappyUser777

With PayPal disputes, the buyer always responsible return shipping costs. PayPal cannot force the seller to refund more than the original amount paid. And if the seller is an international seller, they cannot provide return labels because they can't buy postage from a foreign country.  You can determine the cost and invoice them but again, no one can really force them to pay return shipping. 

That said, PayPal does offer reimbursed return shipping: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/returns

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

UnhappyUser777
New Community Member

Requests cover "up to $30 of return shipping costs" but thanks. Forget international, I don't know on what planet a seller doesn't offer prepaid shipping when THEY make a mistake. Anyway thank you again @sharpiemarker

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.