Seller is about to provide a fake tracking number to Paypal!

MartinLi
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone,

About 3 weeks ago I made a purchase through PayPal. For almost 2 weeks the seller isn't able to provide any tracking information. Last week he finally sent me a tracking number from Hong Kong Post, but since then the shipment hasn't shown any movement at all. I contacted Hong Kong Post to inquire about this shipment, and guess what - They said they never received the item from the seller! This is when I got suspicious, so two days ago I opened a dispute and asked the seller for a refund, but the seller simply refused to do so. Then I escalated this to a claim for PayPal to review, and this is where things got interesting. PayPal gave the seller until May 1st to respond, which is 3 weeks! The seller emailed me and said that he won't respond until then, just to waste time! I emailed him back and straightforwardly asked him if he was scamming me, and he said yes!!! He admitted that he is indeed scamming me, and he says that he will provide a fake tracking number to PayPal so he can win the case! We contacted through email, and I've uploaded our conversation to PayPal, but I'm not sure if anyone has even looked at it. What should I do now? This is a $150 purchase, please help!!!

@Ragnar_Lothbrok @Teddy25 @WarrenPink @Gelai0408  I've seen you guys help out others in this community! This is my first time making a purchase directly through PayPal, any help will be appreciated!!!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Teddy25
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @MartinLi 

Hope all is well and safe during amidst this crisis.  I'm so sorry that this merchant is very uncooperative no worries since this dispute still open and as what you mentioned it was already escalated to a claim then if they will not respond with the time frame given then case will be close on your favor.  If in case this merchant provided to PayPal the tracking number that you mentioned on your post and our back office closed this case to the seller's favor, then don't hesitate to contact us and ask for the reopening of the case and make a appeal wherein whats gonna happen is we will now give you ample time (3 to 10 days maximum) to present compelling evidence that would support your appeal such the email conversation between you and the seller, also contact the shipping company to find the whereabouts of your parcel or to check if your street address is even on the address label. If the ship to address is not yours, get it in writing from the shipping company and appeal your dispute along with this evidence. Otherwise, PayPal will still rule against you even though you did not receive your item since seller provided proof of delivery. Seller can't be responsible for the security of your premises.

I hope i was able to assist you. Stay Safe. 

**** If you find my post very helpful please enrich the community by giving me kudos or accepting it as a solution. ******

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14
Solved

Teddy25
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @MartinLi 

Hope all is well and safe during amidst this crisis.  I'm so sorry that this merchant is very uncooperative no worries since this dispute still open and as what you mentioned it was already escalated to a claim then if they will not respond with the time frame given then case will be close on your favor.  If in case this merchant provided to PayPal the tracking number that you mentioned on your post and our back office closed this case to the seller's favor, then don't hesitate to contact us and ask for the reopening of the case and make a appeal wherein whats gonna happen is we will now give you ample time (3 to 10 days maximum) to present compelling evidence that would support your appeal such the email conversation between you and the seller, also contact the shipping company to find the whereabouts of your parcel or to check if your street address is even on the address label. If the ship to address is not yours, get it in writing from the shipping company and appeal your dispute along with this evidence. Otherwise, PayPal will still rule against you even though you did not receive your item since seller provided proof of delivery. Seller can't be responsible for the security of your premises.

I hope i was able to assist you. Stay Safe. 

**** If you find my post very helpful please enrich the community by giving me kudos or accepting it as a solution. ******

Login to Me Too

MartinLi
Contributor
Contributor

Hello @Teddy25 ,

Thank you so much for the reply! 

The seller is clearly a scammer (he even admitted it), and he is ridiculous and says that he won't respond to the claim until May 1st, which is the deadline for him to respond! Is there any way you guys can speed up the process? Also, I don't feel like I should even need to go through this process since the seller emailed me and told me that he is a scammer. I wish I could upload screenshots of our conversation to this message, but the picture wouldn't show up in this message.

If the seller provides a fake tracking number and PayPal sides with him, how should I contact PayPal to appeal the case? 

Thanks a lot!

Martin

Login to Me Too

Teddy25
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @MartinLi 

Thank you for the swift reply. You can file an appeal through our customer service representative.  All you have to do is go to our PayPal website at the bottom click the contact option besides help, once you click  "contact" it will route you to the page that say “Contact Us” click that and there will be options provided.

If it's still no response, then let's wait until our phone line becomes available. I hope i was able to assist you on your concern. Thank you for your patience and keep safe!

Login to Me Too

MartinLi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @Teddy25 

Thank you again! To answer my other question - is there any way I can make the seller respond quicker? He is wasting time on purpose!

Thanks,

Martin

Login to Me Too

Teddy25
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @MartinLi 

You can try to contact our customer service representative because they have visual on your account there might be a contact number of the seller wherein you call them.

Login to Me Too

MartinLi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @Teddy25 

I did that and apparently I can only wait patiently. Any ideas on when PayPal's phone line will reopen?

Have a nice day,

Martin

Login to Me Too

Teddy25
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @MartinLi 

Thanks for the swift response.  To be honest i still do not know as to when will the phone lines will be back but one thing i know for sure it that once this lockdown is finished 100% phone lines will be back.  Kindly monitor our website for sure there will be posting advisory that operation will be back to normal.  Stay Safe. 

**** If you find my post very helpful please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. ******

Login to Me Too

MartinLi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @Teddy25 ,

Got it. Thanks for sticking with me. I'll wait and see how things go!

Have a nice day,

Martin

Login to Me Too

Teddy25
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @MartinLi 

No Problem. I wish everything will turn out great and keep me posted.  Stay Safe. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.