Scam Requires Paying Expensive Shipping - Who To Contact

kpsdarlin
New Community Member

I ordered an item advertised on Facebook. After it was delivered and arrived many weeks late, the item was clearly nothing like what was advertised. And was broken. I researched the company and found they have pulled this scam many times. A part of this scam includes requiring the item be shipped back if you go through PayPal for a refund. The shipping is international and expensive ensuring most people will just drop it.

How would you push past this canned response - obviously these guys are repeat offenders and PayPal doesn’t seem to realize. I tried explicitly saying I will not pay the return shipping. Still canned response. How do you escalate this to a point these scammers can actually be addressed? 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kpsdarlin 

If you're not able to resolve it with seller, then when you escalate for PayPal to step in, they will resolve it with return for a refund. Can't have both money and the item. Report them to PayPal separately for abusing the seller protection program. Although, these scammers will just create a different website and new PayPal account. They are the new spam but for shopping online. And a challenge to get rid of.

PayPal has a return shipping refund program for future purchases if this return is not eligible:

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

If you're not satisfied with the PayPal decision, then you can forfeit your PayPal dispute and dispute through your credit card issuer exclusively. Do a web search on merchant before you buy.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.