Returned item, no refund

Subo123
Contributor
Contributor
I returned some clothes I paid through with PayPal. The seller has received the items a month ago but is refusing to refund unless I send them a hand written statement that the items were sent and a copy of my passport or driving licence. I refused to send sensitive information over email and raised a dispute with PayPal. Today PayPal closed my case and I have no means to get my £138 back. Why is PayPal not protecting against items that have been returned? The buyer protection is only for items not delivered or not as described which is absolutely non sense. Buyers have to right to return items and get a refund for something they have paid but no longer hold. Any suggestions on how to claim my refund?
Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Subo123 

Paypal only covers you for non receipt of item OR item received but not as described.

You have not said that the items were not as described, if they were then you could have opened a dispute and as long as you sent the items back trackable (to prove delivery) then you should have had your refund.

You have the option of a chargeback if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card OR the small claims court.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Subo123
Contributor
Contributor
@kernowlass I opened the case as item not as described. Though the photos on the website were showing nice pictures of the items, they turned out very low quality. Even so, PayPal ruled this against me. I am furious I can't reopen the case and they have not looked into the evidence properly
Login to Me Too

Teslafan101
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

did Paypal ask you to return the clothese,and did you return to the address it gaveyou and did you upload tracking number?

Login to Me Too

Subo123
Contributor
Contributor
@Teslafan101 I returned it to the the vendor to their depot. After a month of no refund I raised it as dispute and escalated to PayPal. I uploaded the tracking number as well.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Subo123 

Sadly paypals buyer protection policy is not a 100% insurance policy.

The items have to be 'significantly' other than described.

If they were of a poorer quality than it 'looked' on a picture on a website then sadly paypal may not consider that significant.

However if they are in the UK as well then you still have the right of the small claims court OR a chargeback if you funded your paypal payment that way.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.