Reporting stolen identity

DPS-77
New Community Member

I recently received a letter from a debt collection agency acting on behalf of Paypal, claiming £682.70 on an ovedue account. I contacted the agency and found out that the email address used to open the account was unkown to me, and although the name on the account was mine, the address listed was a mangled and incomplete version of mine.

Since then I have been trying to resolve the matter by both phone and email - the original phone call resulted in no progress (i never heard any more despite being promised a follow up with 48 hours) so i emailed customer services, and was promised a reply with 24 hours. Nothing. 3 days later I phoned again, went through the whole explanation again and was promised that a manager in Limitations would phone back within an hour. They did, but I had to explain the situation once more - she then said she would transfer me to someone else who would deal with the issue and promptly cut me off.

Does anybody have a phone number or email address that would allow me to contact the relevant department directly? I can't believe how inept Paypal are at dealing with this situation. Thanks, in hope.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_AshleyM

Hey @DPS-77,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble contacting us regarding the debt. Due to the trouble you've encountered while trying to call us, the best option may be to reach out via Facebook or Twitter so that we can help ensure this is resolved. I hope the issue is resolved soon!

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Smith104104
New Community Member

Exactly the same has just happened to me. Debt collection agency aggressively  unsympathetic. PayPal have not replied to my phone call. Have just sent them a complaint to Customer Services. This is a serious scam. Don't have twitter or Facebook, so what can be done?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.