"You'll be able to review your order before you complete your purchase." Deceptive language

Doghouse010
Contributor
Contributor

I'm a buyer from Japan who shops online for products from abroad, and often eCommerce sites today will show a grand total before purchase displaying: the subtotal, tax, shipping, and import fees for example.

I was progressing toward making a final determination about the product and was presented with a button reading "Agree and Continue" with the subtext:  "You'll be able to review your order before you complete your purchase."  This button in fact actually triggers purchase, and funds were withdrawn from my account and sent to the merchant.  Because I was still in the discovery phase looking to compare prices, I requested a refund immediately.  The merchant took 2 business days to complete the refund and PayPal charged me foreign exchange service fees on both ends resulting in fees collected for no actual service provided. 

I escalated this error, which is clearly the fault of Paypal, thru the customer service platform and was offered a 500 yen courtesy refund demonstrating their recognition of wrongdoing but inability to accept full responsibility. 

I wont be using PayPal in the future given their site designers are either two inept to be trusted OR they use this deceptive language to drive sales and collect fee income.  I'll be using AliExpress and Amazon going forward. 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Doghouse010 

ok

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Doghouse010
Contributor
Contributor

You work for Paypal and collect an income to write "ok" in response to a complaint about a deceptive practice?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Doghouse010 

Work for paypal???  🤣

Gosh no, paypal is the last company i would want to work for.

This is a ''community'' user to user advice forum and I am a user the same as you.

I don't get paid hence the last 2 sentences of every post that i make ie ''advice is VOLUNTARILY GIVEN''.

I work my way through topics requiring answers using ''contribute'', as yours was a statement and did not require an answer then I put ok so that other volunteer advisors knew that the post had been answered.

Your thread is still there for others to read your ''statement'' but it now is not awaiting an answer as there was no question. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.