Is there an appeal process after PayPal has decided a dispute?

risky1948
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased a clock mechanism from Banggood. It arrived in a plastic bag and was damaged. Contacted Banggood 3 times and was ignored. Started a case with PayPal which was decided in my favour. However, to get a $10 refund I had to return the item to China - the cheapest return cost is $30!

So to get a $10 refund PayPal want me to spend $30 - does that make any sense to anyone?

I still want a clock mechanism so I'd be happy if Banggood sent a replacement (with good packaging). I've suggested this to PayPal but I just get the same reply - I'm starting to think it's an automated system and no person is actually reading my messages.

Does anyone know if there is any method of appealing about a resolution decision?

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@risky1948 

In the event of a dispute you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country.

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction .....
https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

frank19961
Contributor
Contributor

You seem to now a lot about PP policies and procedures @kernowlass ...how can i ask you something on the topic of disputes and refunds. Here? Directly? new to community ..sorry

Login to Me Too

risky1948
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. Your response confirms the multiple PayPal responses. I seem to be getting nowhere - essentially, to get the $10 refund I have to pay $30 to return the item damaged in the post because of inadequate packaging.

Do you know of any formal process of appealing against a resolution decision?

Thanks.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@risky1948 

to get the $10 refund I have to pay $30 to return the item

So  you didn't actually READ all of my reply then???

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

risky1948
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I did read your comment - that's how I recognised that it is the same as the replies from PayPal.

It does seem ridiculous to have to fall back on the protection provided by a credit card when PayPal market themselves as providing sellers and buyers protection.

If there is no appeal process against an inherently contrary decision, it further undermine the real level of protection provided by PayPal.

I'm sorry if my comments annoy you because I asked my question in a different way - as another commentator said, you seem to have a wealth of detailed knowledge about PayPal, so I suppose I was trying to extract a specific piece of information.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@risky1948 

The chargeback was not what I meant.

You were saying you had to pay to return the item but I posted this for you................

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction .....
https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

Paypal pays up to £15 / $30 per transaction for up to 12 transactions a year and THAT was what I was posting for you.

My replies are not the same as paypals although I use their terms to explain what they say and then add things that i think may help folks.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

risky1948
Contributor
Contributor

Until your  initial response, I was unaware of the need to "activate" this function. Therefore, it was inactive when I ordered the item. Thanks to your reply, I have now activated it.

As a long term user of PayPal, it seems odd to require a specific activation process for something as important as this.

In the same way, is there a "hidden" appeal process about which I am ignorant?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@risky1948 

Not that i am aware but then i don't work for paypal so why not ask customer services?

The only appeal option i know is to contact them and ask.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

risky1948
Contributor
Contributor

OK. I have the answer to my question - thanks.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.