I've been scammed via Facebook Messenger by a hacked account - has anyone else experienced this?

stephtelfer
Contributor
Contributor

Last night, a person who I know and I am close to on Facebook asked me, via messenger, to receive some money for them into my Paypal account from an ebay buyer, as theirs wasn't working. I did this, as they were extremely convincing, knowing things only this person would know. I sent the initial payment to a bank account, details provided, and all seemed fine. The penny dropped when she asked again if she could send more, and I Googled if this might be a scam. Turns out it is, so I quickly refunded the 'buyer' his money back, and contacted my bank fraud squad immediately.

The 'buyer' has now tried to reclaim the money from my PayPal account, so I am -£350 in the red. Paypal say that it is completely out of their hands but I just don't see how this can be the case. Surely they know who sent that money, and can see that it's fraudulent?

I have reported to police, and opened a case with my bank. I feel so duped and stupid, but this person who hacked my friend's account clearly did their research and knew so much about them that they could hold a conversation with me. 

Does anyone know if there's any way I can get PayPal to investigate the senders of this money from their end? I feel like there's got to be something they can do. It's put me off using PayPal ever again. 

Login to Me Too
51 REPLIES 51

Zack1414
Contributor
Contributor

nothing as of yet. my case is with kent police and is still waiting for the case to be reviewed with the financial ombudsman. i reported in December, so you're going to be waiting a while, they gave my case to the debt collectors as well that chased me for a bit then said we arent chasing this as its been reported as fraud so they gave my case back to paypal but like i said as of yet, nothing. 

Login to Me Too

monkeyboy1993
Contributor
Contributor
Hi could you tell me how you contact the CEO please. Also have you or anyone had any. Further updates to this scam
Login to Me Too

niishiinoyayuu
Contributor
Contributor
I've had this happen to me in the past two days (May 23rd) but haven't yet received a chargeback claim. Can I ask how long it took the scammer to issue the chargeback against you? I'm liable for around £880. I'm a student who earns around £250 a month and am already in my overdraft with the bank. I've reported this to my bank, to PayPal, and ActionFraud. I'm only 19 and I feel like I should know better and I'm too embarrassed to tell any of my family about what's happened.
Login to Me Too

Zack1414
Contributor
Contributor
Literally the next day for mine to charge back. Don’t be embarrassed these people are very very clever! It could help talking to family, they may be disappointed but they can maybe help support you
Login to Me Too

monkeyboy1993
Contributor
Contributor
I have had this happen too me on 13-may. I'm not liable according to PayPal for £250. I got a crime number from action fraud, reported it my bank and tried to give the crime number to PayPal who are not interested and only want the money back, I'm refusing to pay until I've exhausted every possible way, I forgot about the financial ombudsman so will report it to them too, has anyone actually sorted this yet? I'm already fed up of the phone calls, wonder if I can press charges for harassment?
Login to Me Too

Mandyb1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

same happened to me, Facebook messenger request from close friend asking me if I could take a payment in my PayPal as theirs not working, transfer it to my bank and then onto their bank account but obviously turned out it wasn’t my friend at all. Not getting anywhere with PayPal, bank are trying to make contact with the account the money went to. PayPal want £540. From me as they have favoured unauthorised transaction claim from where the money came from originally even though they know I’ve been scammed, bank said they should not have done this and I need to speak to PayPal internal investigations but I can’t find a phone number 

Login to Me Too

ErinParker_9
Contributor
Contributor
So Paypal closed my old account with the debt attributed to it however wescot are still chasing me? How did you manage to get them to stop. I have told them it is fraud a million times lol
Login to Me Too

Mandyb1
Contributor
Contributor

same happened to me, Facebook messenger request from close friend asking me if I could take a payment in my PayPal as theirs not working, transfer it to my bank and then onto their bank account but obviously turned out it wasn’t my friend at all. Not getting anywhere with PayPal, bank are trying to make contact with the account the money went to. PayPal want £540. From me as they have favoured unauthorised transaction claim from where the money came from originally even though they know I’ve been scammed, bank said they should not have done this and I need to speak to PayPal internal investigations but I can’t find a phone number

Login to Me Too

Mandyb1
Contributor
Contributor

Happened to me last night, caught me tired and hungry so my guard was down ☹️ All sorted with my bank they put my account back in order and I then realised I have this minus on my PayPal account and the so and so who has scammed me has opened a dispute! Have tried speaking to someone at PayPal, was put on hold, got cut off after sitting there 20 minutes, tried to ring them back but office was then closed. Scares me to see people are being told they are liable for the money - how can that be right? Surely PayPal realise it’s fraud and people who have been tricked are innocent

Login to Me Too

Zaphyn
New Community Member

I'm going through the same thing. £490 in my case. Contacted EVERYONE and noone cares, even the bank wont help as I'm the one who technically authorised it and it's on me to check that I'm paying the right people. I've contacted facebook, the bank, actionfraud, paypal are now calling me trying to get me to pay up every other day. I've gone to the financial ombudsman but I have a feeling it will result in me just having to pay it.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.