I've been scammed via Facebook Messenger by a hacked account - has anyone else experienced this?

stephtelfer
Contributor
Contributor

Last night, a person who I know and I am close to on Facebook asked me, via messenger, to receive some money for them into my Paypal account from an ebay buyer, as theirs wasn't working. I did this, as they were extremely convincing, knowing things only this person would know. I sent the initial payment to a bank account, details provided, and all seemed fine. The penny dropped when she asked again if she could send more, and I Googled if this might be a scam. Turns out it is, so I quickly refunded the 'buyer' his money back, and contacted my bank fraud squad immediately.

The 'buyer' has now tried to reclaim the money from my PayPal account, so I am -£350 in the red. Paypal say that it is completely out of their hands but I just don't see how this can be the case. Surely they know who sent that money, and can see that it's fraudulent?

I have reported to police, and opened a case with my bank. I feel so duped and stupid, but this person who hacked my friend's account clearly did their research and knew so much about them that they could hold a conversation with me. 

Does anyone know if there's any way I can get PayPal to investigate the senders of this money from their end? I feel like there's got to be something they can do. It's put me off using PayPal ever again. 

Login to Me Too
51 REPLIES 51

Erinparker9
Contributor
Contributor
Keep me updated! I’ve asked Wescot to prove I owe the debt and they’ve said in order to do so I need to give them my address and other personal information. However I’ve read that in doing so I’m liable to being held accountable so I’m going to visit my local Citizens Advice Bureau on Monday to find out where to go from here.
Login to Me Too

Zack1414
Contributor
Contributor
Of course I will! Well I said the same to them, ‘I’m not telling you until you tell me what this is about’ all I gave my my name and postcode I think, but when you have seen citizens advice, let me know what they say!!
Login to Me Too

Erinparker9
Contributor
Contributor
When you gave that info did they prove the debt? They’ve put my case on hold for 2 weeks to give me time to give them my address but I’m unsure if I’ll need to. Still waiting to see citizens advice next week before I do anything else
Login to Me Too

Zack1414
Contributor
Contributor
All they replied with was ‘it’s paypal’ so explained what happened to them with the scam they couldn’t believe why they had got my case as it was fraud 🤷🏽‍♂️
Login to Me Too

Erinparker9
Contributor
Contributor
So are they not pursuing it further then as it’s fraud?
Login to Me Too

Zack1414
Contributor
Contributor

the debt collectors are waiting for action fraud and the ombudsman to say it was fraud, this was just their opinion 

Login to Me Too

Erinparker9
Contributor
Contributor
Hi I spoke to my citizens advice bureau this morning. They said Paypal are pretty useless for stuff like this because they accept no responsibility and are impossible to get in contact with. Because they are based in Luxembourg they don’t need to abide by the same governance as the UK. They said I have a number of options but that it’s difficult to decide what to do as debt remains in my Paypal account. I could wait until Wescot offer a settlement figure but with the money sitting in Paypal as well I could pay this figure to Wescot and then Paypal could sell the remainder to another DCA. I could ignore both completely & see where it goes (this could affect credit rating). Or I can pay it off through Paypal and clear it completely. Ideally I’d pay a settlement figure to Wescot but if that’s not going to clear the full amount from my Paypal total I’m probably better off just paying Paypal. I’m still waiting to hear back from action fraud, they are taking so so long. I think because I gave consent I’m liable for the debt rather than my account being hacked etc Are you getting anywhere?
Login to Me Too

Zack1414
Contributor
Contributor

Well it looks like they have given you a few options so its completely up to you what you want to do. no im getting no further with any of them as they seem to be really behind. i haven't spoke to wescott for about a month either but they are happy to keep it on hold until i get an answer from the ombudsman or action fraud. my case was sent to them on 2nd december 2018 and its still not been looked at so you're going to be waiting a while for any answers but as soon as i get mine i will happily tell you the outcome!! 

Login to Me Too

Erinparker9
Contributor
Contributor
Have you heard anything yet?
Login to Me Too

Zack1414
Contributor
Contributor

funnily enough I have spoken to wescott 2 minutes ago, they have sent my case back to PayPal. My case is finally being looked at with action fraud and I should get the outcome within 28 days, have you heard anything?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.