I've been scammed via Facebook Messenger by a hacked account - has anyone else experienced this?

stephtelfer
Contributor
Contributor

Last night, a person who I know and I am close to on Facebook asked me, via messenger, to receive some money for them into my Paypal account from an ebay buyer, as theirs wasn't working. I did this, as they were extremely convincing, knowing things only this person would know. I sent the initial payment to a bank account, details provided, and all seemed fine. The penny dropped when she asked again if she could send more, and I Googled if this might be a scam. Turns out it is, so I quickly refunded the 'buyer' his money back, and contacted my bank fraud squad immediately.

The 'buyer' has now tried to reclaim the money from my PayPal account, so I am -£350 in the red. Paypal say that it is completely out of their hands but I just don't see how this can be the case. Surely they know who sent that money, and can see that it's fraudulent?

I have reported to police, and opened a case with my bank. I feel so duped and stupid, but this person who hacked my friend's account clearly did their research and knew so much about them that they could hold a conversation with me. 

Does anyone know if there's any way I can get PayPal to investigate the senders of this money from their end? I feel like there's got to be something they can do. It's put me off using PayPal ever again. 

Login to Me Too
51 REPLIES 51

sadtango289
New Community Member

<removed> this guy scam me too . 58$ . I sent him via Friend Donate mode . Stupid me.  How can I take back my money ?  Im in panic 

Login to Me Too

adelej1
Contributor
Contributor

exactly the same happened to me today! for £385 have you gotten any answers that could possible help me out? as paypal and my bank are saying they cant take responsibility for this, witch I cant believe as both of them should have been able to flag it up. 

Login to Me Too

Zack1414
Contributor
Contributor

good luck getting this sorted, I have had this exact and I mean exact problem, it has been ongoing for 3 months now, it was never my friend asking it, was a fraudster that hacked my friends account, they told me theirs was limited or something along them lines and could I receive payment and transfer it to them I did and they have been reversed as unauthorised but one went through and now PayPal are holding me responsible for it when I was scammed. My bank and the receiving bank said it's not their problem its mine. I have reported it all to the financial ombudsman and action fraud, I'm just waiting on their response. 

Login to Me Too

Erinparker9
Contributor
Contributor
Is anyone any further forward with this? My negative has been passed to a DCA and I really don’t want to pay as I feel Paypal should have been able to stop this? Thanks
Login to Me Too

Zack1414
Contributor
Contributor

no im sorry, i am still waiting for the Ombudsman to look at it and give me their answer. explain to the debt collectors what has happened and they are willing to give you time to sort it all out, by any chance is it Wescott? 

Login to Me Too

Erinparker9
Contributor
Contributor
Yes it’s Wescot. I’ve heard they’re pretty nasty so haven’t answered the phone to them but have emailed twice asking for proof of the debt to no reply. Action fraud have been very helpful as well but I think it’s looking likely I’ll have to pay
Login to Me Too

Zack1414
Contributor
Contributor

they are the people who are chasing my case too and they have been amazing with me - not nasty or anything. given me time to figure everything out - im still waiting on action fraud. what have they said to you?

Login to Me Too

Erinparker9
Contributor
Contributor

They've said on the online chat I'm not liable and that they're looking into it. As they have the scammers sort code & account number I'm hoping they manage to trace it. However my bank and paypal are both saying I'll need to pay. I'll wait for action fraud to get back to me fully and for Wescot to reply to my email before I decide what to do

Login to Me Too

Zack1414
Contributor
Contributor
Near enough what they have said to me as well, like I said wescott are actually really helpful with me, when I explained to them what had happened they were mortified that PayPal hadn’t investigated it, so they basically gave them my case and said chase this without telling them the backstory which they now have and have been really good with me, as you say I’m waiting on action fraud too and wescott have been happy to wait until action fraud reply
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.