I backed out of completing a transaction but it continued the following day

dairowland
Contributor
Contributor

I am UK based and was looking at purchasing some information contained on a thumb drive being sold on a US website, but backed out of the transaction prior to the PayPal login. I then left the website and continued browsing. The following day I logged into PayPal and the previous days supposedly aborted transaction continued to completion.
I received no acknowledgement from the website that the transaction had complete but I did get a PayPal receipt for $97 the cost of the goods which I did not want nor received.

Over the next few days I tried to contact the seller asking to cancel the order and receive a refund but had no response, so I raised a case with PayPal. However the case was closed saying there had been no fraudulent activity.

I continued to try and contact the reseller who eventually responded saying there are no refunds as it was a digitally download. When I said I'd not had any emails from his website he sent me a download link via Facebook. I have not opened the link
Three Questions

1. Can I appeal a closed PayPal case? If so how?
  2. The goods were advertised as Thumb Drive but a download link was provided so can I appeal on a goods not as described basis (even though I didn't want it)
  3. Do I have any other recourse for a refund 

Would appreciate any help as I can't really afford the $97

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

MoreQsThanAs
Contributor
Contributor

To answer your questions:

Yes, you can appeal.  Don't follow the instructions in PayPal Help because those don't work for whatever reason.  I see a lot of mentions in these threads, people frustrated not being able to call PayPal during Covid; I get it, and to PayPal's discredit instead of wasting a caller's time going down a rabbit hole that leads to an eventual hang-up, just SAY there isn't anyone available to speak with.

This worked for me - start a dialog in Message Center, indicate your issue, be patient and cordial.  The response times are VERY long.  You'll work with several PayPal reps, and possibly rehash a few times what you went through when you opened the case initially.  Eventually though, you'll get a rep who will see your efforts.

Other recourse?  What about your bank?  If you transacted through PayPal but the charge went directly to your bank account, contact your bank and indicate you aren't getting any help resolving with PayPal.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.