How to raise a case on the same seller after the first one was closed by Paypal

kgreaney
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there, 

Could anyone help or guide me in how exactly to re open or raise a new case once an initial request has been closed by Paypal. 

I purchased items from a site whom I was led to believe was an American seller but when I received my receipt from Paypal, it was in Chinese, so I decided to investigate. It transpired that the site was a scam site with hundreds of different pages reporting issues. I raised a case with Paypal within 20 minutes but the only option i could find to relate to a scam site was 'unauthorised purchase'. The case was closed since as I did actually make the purchase. 

When I try to contact Paypal by phone i am told they cannot answer due to Covid and people working from home. it wont allow me to raise another case. Every email i send to the seller is responded by with poor English and generic responses ignoring my request to refund telling me my order would be here in 2 months (even though i paid €26 for 3-10 delivery)  Their initial email asked me to close the dispute with Paypal before they would talk to me and now that Paypal have done that they are ignoring all my questions. 

Does anyone know the best option or route to take with Paypal? I use Paypal regularly as i always believed that in scam situations like this your money would be well protected. this is the first issue i have ever had with a seller and it seems impossible to contact Paypal or raise another case to get them to stop the payment.

Any advice or help would be gratefully appreciated. 

Ken 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kgreaney 

A dispute for an unauthorised transaction is telling paypal that your account was hacked and used without your consent to make that transaction.
Paypal would check IP addresses and devices and close the dispute if it was you that made the transaction.

You are only allowed 1 dispute per transaction so the only way you can get a second dispute opened is to contact Paypal (when and if you can) and see if they will open a second dispute for you.
They may decline citing policies but if you say you made a mistake then they might open a second dispute for you.

If not then if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then consider contacting your card issuer and see if they will help you with a chargeback?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kgreaney 

A dispute for an unauthorised transaction is telling paypal that your account was hacked and used without your consent to make that transaction.
Paypal would check IP addresses and devices and close the dispute if it was you that made the transaction.

You are only allowed 1 dispute per transaction so the only way you can get a second dispute opened is to contact Paypal (when and if you can) and see if they will open a second dispute for you.
They may decline citing policies but if you say you made a mistake then they might open a second dispute for you.

If not then if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then consider contacting your card issuer and see if they will help you with a chargeback?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

kgreaney
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you kindly kernowlass. In my haste to raise the query I just picked what I thought was most suitable, big lesson learned. It’s a pain that after using PayPal feeling protected that having to revert to my bank for a charge back is still the only option. But if it works then so be it. I described my issue in detail when submitting the claim but it’s as if they only chose to focus on the heading or title or the claim and not the facts within, not great customer service but because it was my first ever complaint I took the wrong option. I will also try to contact them again but if they are not answering their calls I’m at a loss how else to contact them! Thanks again your time and advice is really appreciated
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kgreaney 

Chargeback is not your only option, did you read the second paragraph in my post completely?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.