Hotel Cancelled booking but refuses refund would i be covered

julius-marx
Contributor
Contributor

if I booked a hotel less than 180 days ago and hotel sent me an email saying my booking was cancelled but says wont refund 

am i covered by buyer protection ?

thanks 

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@julius-marx 

Maybe so, maybe no. Have to file a claim to find out. It up to PayPal's sole discretion. They may refer to the merchant's refund policy.

Make sure to choose the right option (don't file as unauthorized or it'll get denied fast).

Locate payment transaction in your PayPal account activity, click it, then click "Report a problem" and choose the most appropriate option:

(Note: the option you choose makes or breaks your claim so choose correctly!)

I didn't receive an item i purchased  

The product or service [the entire order] was not delivered to you.

I received an item that's significantly not as described  

The product or service was significantly not as described in your order. 

You can opt to dispute through your card issuer, if that's how you paid and you lost the PayPal dispute.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

julius-marx
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks I can understand if it were I to cancel , but if they cancel they shouldn’t be able to keep the money . Otherwise it’s open to abuse you could open up a fictional hotel and only take PayPal payments then cancel All the bookings and keep the money that can’t be right !
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@julius-marx 

Like I said, you may dispute it through your card issuer if the PayPal dispute falls through. Cannot predict what PayPal will do. Present your case. What are the terms of the booking? Is it a non-refundable deposit?

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

julius-marx
Contributor
Contributor
They didn’t respond with in 10 days so in PayPals wisdom they’ve given them another 10 days to respond as there may be delays in delivering the item , but that’s gonna be be hard as not item it’s a service and the date of the service has passed ! Only non refundable if the customer cancels but I never cancelled the Hotel cancelled so as they cancelled by law they have to refund I've now been informed.
Login to Me Too

julius-marx
Contributor
Contributor
RESULT 😁😁😁 Case closed in your favour We reviewed the case you filed on 20 March 2020 and have decided in your favour. We've issued a refund of €XXXXXXX EUR to you. It may take up to 5 days for this refund to show on your PayPal account or bank. If you paid using a credit or debit card, the money will be refunded to it. Depending on your card provider, it can take up to 30 days for the refund to show on your card statement.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.