Has anyone had any luck with suing in small claims?

tylermittan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has tried suing PayPal in small claims court. There have been multiple times where PayPal does not let me know ahead of time that they're going to use an e-check rather than a normal transfer. This lack of notification has resulted in multiple NSF fees from my bank. In fact, the most recent time I received an NSF fee despite the check not having cleared yet. I just want to get the money that I've lost from PayPal because of these really either deceptive or careless lack of notifications. I know this seems to be very silly, but this happens quite often. All I want is the money that I've lost and hopefully set a precedent for them to be better about their communication. Thanks.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tylermittan 

PayPal does tell you, but people don't read. It's in the FAQs and user agreements. And common sense dictates that you should always have money in your account to cover the charges. And the PayPal system can't check if you have money in your bank account or not and send you an email or message pops up realtime to tell you. 

What happens when an authorized payment is returned for insufficient or uncollected funds by my bank...

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_US#payment-methods

"Bank account transfers

When you use your bank account as a payment method, you are allowing PayPal to initiate a transfer from your bank account to the recipient.  For these transactions, PayPal will make electronic transfers from your bank account in the amount you specify.  You authorize PayPal to try this transfer again if the initial transfer is rejected by your bank for any reason."

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tylermittan 

PayPal does tell you, but people don't read. It's in the FAQs and user agreements. And common sense dictates that you should always have money in your account to cover the charges. And the PayPal system can't check if you have money in your bank account or not and send you an email or message pops up realtime to tell you. 

What happens when an authorized payment is returned for insufficient or uncollected funds by my bank...

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_US#payment-methods

"Bank account transfers

When you use your bank account as a payment method, you are allowing PayPal to initiate a transfer from your bank account to the recipient.  For these transactions, PayPal will make electronic transfers from your bank account in the amount you specify.  You authorize PayPal to try this transfer again if the initial transfer is rejected by your bank for any reason."

Login to Me Too

tylermittan
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker 

Actually, you're wrong and you didn't read what I said either, which is ironic since you're complaining about me not reading.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tylermittan 

I know you're asking about suing PayPal, I wasn't speaking on that.

Login to Me Too

tylermittan
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker 

This is true and why I reported it since it is irrelevant to the topic. I would highly encourage you to read the Community Rules & Guidelines.

Login to Me Too

tylermittan
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker 

Furthermore, your links don't actually address the issue that I was having with respect to the NSF fees. It would have at least been beneficial if you had shown me relevant policies, but you haven't.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.