Fraudulent Activity

etrull77
Contributor
Contributor

Back in September, I received text messages and emails from PayPal letting me know of a transaction I had apparently made. I logged onto my PayPal account straight away to discover that two transactions had been made from my PayPal credit account that I did not make. I immediately disputed the two transactions and was forced to change my password. Within two to three hours, PayPal wrote me back saying they were denying my fraudulent claim and that the transactions were authorized. I have emailed them several times since then explaining I DID NOT make the two transactions. Each time, my email has gone unanswered. I don't understand how this is allowed to happen. This all happened during a weekend when I was moving homes. Several people could have accessed the PayPal app on my phone as I had left it on my kitchen counter playing music during the move. It could have been the movers or the cleaners. I contacted both companies accusing them of accessing and making transactions from my PayPal account. Naturally, they both denied doing so. PayPal refuses to answer me. Their investigation was a joke. How can you investigate anything without speaking to the parties involved? I feel as if PayPal is the fraudulent one now. They've allowed these transactions to stand without any justification. I realize I shouldn't have left my phone unattended, but I never once thought anyone would do what they did, and even if I did, PayPal would have protected me.

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@etrull77 

If you file an unauthorised transaction then paypal will check IP addresses and devices to see if it was unauthorised.

If it came back showing it was made via your phone and your IP address then you will lose.

You authorised the transaction as you left your paypal account accessible for others to use so the responsibility for that is sadly down to you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

eyeswideopen
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

First off that sounds pretty awful and with the moving a little hard to take as you are busy enough.

A couple of questions to start

1.How do you know that the transactions were made from your own telephone?

2.Have you opened a dispute online in the resolution section on your Paypal account?

Go online open your account and go to the summary page and find the transaction open one and you will see the transaction and at the bottom of the page there will be a link in blue saying resolution centre

Go to the Resolution Centre for help with this transaction, to settle a dispute or to open a claim.

3.Have you called Paypal on the phone and asked to speak to someone regarding a complaint?

Tel:0203 901 7000  its an automated system be ready with your account card last 4 digits, your mobile number and when asked what type of enquiry just say "Complaint" until you get a real person.

If Paypal have informed you the IP address is from your own phone then you need to have this evidence in writing and then you could contact the police and tell them what has happened. They can then find out who has been in your property and do a criminal background check on those at your property if one has a record they could follow up on that.  Fraud is still fraud and the Police should act. If the transaction involved buying items or sending money Paypal will have the details of where and to whom it was sent.

Make sure you secure your phone so that it cannot be picked up and used, do this by setting up a password to open the phone every time it is used. You have to look at your phone as holding all your secure passwords including your bank card. Protect it with a password even if the horse has bolted you still don't want it happening again.

Hope this helps.

Ultimately you could try and charge back on your bank card but that would be the last line of defence.

Sorry you are having this problem

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@eyeswideopen 

If it wasn't made from their phone then it would have been another IP address / device and they would probably have won the dispute.

Secondly if you read the post they have already opened a dispute and paypal unfortunately did not find in their favour.

As for the police they are not going to be interested in a 'shopping transaction' on paypal they will tell you its a civil matter.

And paypal will not disclose information on another user due to data protection. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

eyeswideopen
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Kernowlass

Have a read if you have time>

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/what-is-fraud

Login to Me Too

shahn1
Contributor
Contributor

I have contacted customer service several times and have not been helped in no way. now money is missing from my account and its like trying to fly to space in a wheel barrier trying to contact anyone that can help me... how do i speak to someone that can really help me

Login to Me Too

etrull77
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the advice. I'm in the U.S., not the U.K. Filing a police report over this would be a waste of time. I know I left my phone unattended. That's down on me. I didn't make the two transactions though, but PayPal doesn't give a sh*t. As far as they are concerned, it is case closed. Too bad, so sad, your dad.

Login to Me Too

eyeswideopen
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Ok that link was for the UK but this one is for the US and they will forward your identity theft online to the correct agency

https://staysafeonline.org/stay-safe-online/identity-theft-fraud-cybercrime/reporting-cybercrime/

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@eyeswideopen 

I don't need the link thanks, you can report it but all that happens is that it is LOGGED to build a bigger picture.

If they get hundreds of folks reporting the same scam then that is a fraud the police may investigate.

They are not going to investigate the odd unauthorised transaction on paypal.

As your link says if you click on action fraud.............

Action Fraud does not investigate cases and cannot advise you on the progress of a case.

Its laughable to say that police will visit and interview everyone in the property, you will get a crime reference number and thats it.

Its not major crime and the OP allowed it to happen by allowing access to their paypal account.

Sad yes but your advice is way OTT.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.