Fraud - Ordered on Ebay an VR Headset (£450), I was sent just a USB cable......worth £8.

dazzer169
Contributor
Contributor
  • 18th May I ordered on Ebay an Oculus Quest VR Headset, £450, from a Kian Thompson  (note his first name for further below…)

• Ebay after one day, shows my item had arrived…………..in Lincoln, back in mid-April, via Yodel.    But we are now in mid-May, and I live near Heathrow…  I send an Ebay message to the “Seller”……who incidentally has only been an Ebay member since Feb 2020 I was to notice later on.

• 19th May at 4:36pm he tells me that he will ask Yodel for a new tracking number………..

• After this I notice there are 2 x Tracking Numbers showing on Ebay with Yodel, for the same item number, but each time the item shows as “Royal Mail 1st Class”…          Also, astonishingly, the 2nd tracking number had been on a parcel awaiting movement at Selby Service Centre at 0:00am on 19th May……………some 17 hours or so before the Seller told me he would “ask Yodel for another tracking number”……   A question also, is why does Ebay show that he intended to use Royal Mail?

• 20th May I receive…..a small parcel containing just a USB cable.    It says “To Kian Cringe” on it, and just below that my full name and address.   Yes, the same first name as the sender, and a surname that sums up this Fraud.

• Sender tells me he has had multiple phone calls with Yodel to sort out the “mix-up”, he tells me he has never sold USB cables and that he had not sent me the parcel I received, yet it has his Yodel 2nd tracking number on it.

• I ask the Seller if he really did send out the VR Headset, and he told me that "I took the box in with the sticker I got from the Post Office, my thoughts are that the sticker was changed when I got the replacement track number".   Aha, so the Post Office, and Royal Mail postage, starting to be mentioned now………..hmmmmm

• I find out just after that from Yodel (via a Webchat) that the Sender has not been in contact with Yodel as all they have available during COVID is there webchat service.  The only person who has been in contact they tell me, is myself during this very same webchat.  They inform me during me Webchat that even though the address of course was my address, the recipient name on their system was Kian Cringe.    

• Sender then gives me a phone number, telling me it’s the number he has “phoned” Yodel on, the number he gives me is an 0901 number.  I phone this up to test the waters, i.e. is it Yodel……….I get through to THEM TELECOM, instantly being told the call I am on is charged at £6 a minute…

• Sender then tells me he has also exchanged emails with Yodel…………I ask him to forward them over to me so that I can have them as proof he is trying to resolve what he is calling a “mix-up” at Yodel……..he didn’t send me these emails.   Proof he never had them in the first place.

• I warn the Sender I will open a Case with Ebay in the next “hour”, and within 4 minutes he gets back to me with an angry message calling me “a Scammer, and that he has given Ebay ‘all the proof they need’”…..and yet he had given me NO PROOF AT ALL and told me multiple lies about his so called communication with Yodel.

• I then log it with Ebay, and with PayPal separately.

• Ebay look into it via this Case Resolution and they rule it in the Senders favour……….I was shaking with anger.    Then the next day via a phone call they admit to me they got things confused thinking I had not received any parcel at all……I correct them, they then say they will investigate but have noticed I have opened an investigation also on Paypal and so they need to leave this all to Paypal’s Fraud team.

• 2 days later I visit my local Yodel with the small parcel I had received, to ask them why they think the parcel contains “To Kian Cringe” on it, just above on the label my full name and address.   They confirmed that their tracking system shows Kian Cringe as the recipient, and my address, and that my actual name doesn’t show on the system.    They told me that my webchat shows on their system from a few days ago, and I asked them if there are any more notes as to someone else webchatting with them and they said no, just me.  I asked them to confirm their phone lines are all down, with live humans on them, during COVID, and they said yes, they have been down for 2 months…..and that the only number people can use in normal times is the 0344 number.   Sums up what the Seller was playing at when he told me he had used that 0901 number…the fact clearly is that it was impossible for him to "phone" them at this moment in time.  Pure lies.   Blatant.

• Simon, a very friendly Yodel guy at the depot, looks at the parcel and instantly tells me that, with EBUYER at the top just above the address label, and with their being 3 barcodes on the parcel, that this parcel can ONLY have come from EBUYER…………….and not Ebay.   And so if this really is down to a Yodel parcel mix-up, then why did the Seller tell me many times he was on the phone to Yodel to resolve this when it was impossible to phone them?

• I uploaded, to the PayPal case, all this information from Yodel as well as a full transcript of the Seller and my messages, a photo of the parcel, and all the information, except these last paragraphs, in this piece I am sending now to PayPal Community.    Probably about 7 documents in total I uploaded, but frustratingly each and every upload did NOT get confirmed, I cannot understand how PayPal doesn’t give upload confirmations?

• Paypal have looked into the case, it was 3 days on “reviewing Sellers evidence” (I would sincerely love to see what that contained…), it never once said it was “looking at the Buyers evidence”, and so how can I be sure that PayPal actually had the chance to look at my uploaded 7 documents?  

• PayPal have now asked me to send this wrong item back to the Seller.   My BIG problem with this, is that with the Seller clearly being a Fraud, that he will play games when he receives this because IF he has to tell PayPal he has received it fine (which tracking will prove anyway of course), then he is admitting he sent this in the first place even though he denied to me that he sent this out…..

• I have videoed myself holding this parcel, zooming in to show all the details on it.

• My big puzzle now is to whether to send the actual whole small parcel back to him……….or to keep the small parcel and send the USB cable back in another parcel, because I still feel I need to keep this actual parcel as proof and evidence, because surely the Sellers fingerprints would be all over this unless he wore gloves on purpose…

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

dazzer169
Contributor
Contributor

...sorry, in my last paragraph I said I am puzzled now about whether to send the wrong item back in its original "envelope" or in a new one, what I mean by that is I will be puzzled on that UNTIL someone at PayPal is finally able to communicate with me.

7 days now and not once has a live agent been able to live chat with me in Messaging, but I do appreciate and understand that PayPal have limited staff right now.   I was hoping someone would have at least got back to me, other than those guys who looked at the case whereby there is an automated returns message showing on the case right now along with the "Sellers" address...

I just need advice on my thoughts that being as the Seller has committed Fraud and the Police should be involved heavily here, I should not let the parcel envelope get out of my sight..........especially not into the hands of the "Seller"...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.