Fortnite Payment Question

Mommabear4
Contributor
Contributor

My 16 year old son says he opened a paypal account to receive money for playing Fortnite. Can this be true? Don't you have to be 18 to open an account?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mommabear4

Paypal does not allow account holders under the age of 18. PayPal asks for a birth date when you register.

While you can manage make a PayPal account with false information, discovery can result in the closing of the account and loss of the funds in it. Because minors can’t enter legal contracts and they are not allowed to have the account in the first place, they won’t have any recourse to get their money back if things go this way.

If they are not discovered, the account will be subject to the sending and receiving limits. When those limits are reached, the account is locked for further use until they verify.

As they won't be able to verify OR it shows that they were under 18 when they opened the account then the account will be suspended and they may not be allowed to use Paypal even when they are 18.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mommabear4

Paypal does not allow account holders under the age of 18. PayPal asks for a birth date when you register.

While you can manage make a PayPal account with false information, discovery can result in the closing of the account and loss of the funds in it. Because minors can’t enter legal contracts and they are not allowed to have the account in the first place, they won’t have any recourse to get their money back if things go this way.

If they are not discovered, the account will be subject to the sending and receiving limits. When those limits are reached, the account is locked for further use until they verify.

As they won't be able to verify OR it shows that they were under 18 when they opened the account then the account will be suspended and they may not be allowed to use Paypal even when they are 18.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Mommabear4
Contributor
Contributor
Do I call customer service to have this account closed? How can I stop him from opening false accounts? Suggestions appreciated. Thank you for helping me.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mommabear4

You can click on legal bottom of Paypal pages and then use the acceptable use policy where there is a link to 'report a user'.

You can report him as underage and the account will be limited. If he opened subsequent ones they would be limited as well.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.