Financial ombudsman

doctortardis
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone know how to contact the ombudsman in the UK as PayPal have absolutely no interest in confirming that my complaint case has been received or has been received and is currently being processed.

Login to Me Too
19 REPLIES 19

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

I don't think you understand the crux of my arguement. Your initial post was rather misleading by implying that you couldn't make a complaint to the ombudsman, not which exact regualtions it has to follow, I'm guessing the CSSF and the FCA have pretty similar codes of conduct anyway. My point was that you implied you couldn't complain to the ombudsman and I'm saying you defintiely can. 

I'm going to leave it there.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Anonymous_User

I don't think my post was misleading at all I said....

Paypal are not regulated in the UK.................they are not.

If you go to the user agreement on your paypal account there is a section for 'complaints' with all the links to the 'regulators'......absolutely true.

So which part of that was misleading???? I did not mention the ombudsman as MY advice was that it was best to complain to the regulators.

You had as much right to state that they could complain to the ombudsman if they wanted to, I don't have a problem with that but don't say that I was wrong when i was not.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

It's misleading because she asked about the ombudsman and your response was to say PayPal isn't regualted in the UK. This implies that the ombudsman wasn't a perfectly valid option to take. It implies there is no organisation within the UK that can hold PayPal to account. A person would understand this as misleading. You redirected the person from the ombudsman to an unknown entity in a foreign country. Making it much less likely they'd file the complaint.

Just because a statement is true doesn't mean it's not misleading. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Anonymous_User

Then feel free to add your advice as well.

You get lots of advice given on here and feel free to add your own but few start arguments about it.

And the 'unknown entity' in another country is paypals REGULATOR.

And if you go to the user agreement where I told the OP to go INCLUDES the UK ombudsman  Smiley Very Happy  so that should make you happy. 

I stated. ....If you go to the user agreement on your paypal account there is a section for 'complaints' with all the links to the 'regulators'.

So from the info as per below I sent them to EXACTLY the correct place with EXACTLY the correct information.

4.2 ECC-Net, Financial Ombudsman Service and CSSF. If you have a complaint to make about us, you may choose to escalate it by contacting one of the following:

1. European Consumer Centre (ECC-Net). You may obtain further information regarding the ECC-Net and how to contact them at (https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-travel-eu/consumers/resolve-your-consumer-complaint/european-consumer-centres-network_en).
  2. UK Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). For UK resident Users only - the FOS is a free, independent service, which might be able to settle a complaint between you and us. You may obtain further information regarding the FOS and contact the FOS at http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk or by visiting the EU’s Online Dispute Resolution site at https://ec.europa.eu/consumers/odr.
  3. Commission de Surveillance du Secteur Financier (CSSF). The CSSF is the authority responsible for the prudential supervision of companies in the financial sector in Luxembourg. You can contact the CSSF at 283 Route d’Arlon, L-1150 Luxembourg. You may obtain further information regarding the CSSF and how to contact them at: http://www.cssf.lu or by visiting the EU’s Online Dispute Resolution site at https://ec.europa.eu/consumers/odr.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Anonymous_User

Smiley Wink

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

doctortardis
Contributor
Contributor
Wow. I certainly didn't want to start an argument. After involving the ombudsman I finally got a reply from the complaints team. They ignored all issues raised except one and that reply was upto their usual high standard. I quote " I don't know as I don’t work in that department". There was me thinking that a complaints team looked into why it happened and to try and stop it from going wrong in the future. Based on my own experiences I will again advise people DO NOT open an account with PayPal.
Login to Me Too

dnovembre11
Contributor
Contributor
Can I also place a complaint against PayPal ? With ombudsman? I’m in Australia and have had enough No help at all
Login to Me Too

LIZH11
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, 

I have had to open a case with the FSA OMBUDSMAN regarding paypal holds on my account on every single sale that i make, regardless of what it is.  Paypal tried to say it was a random hold, but every single item i have sold off ebay over the last three months has been held, so this is hardly randomly spot checking a few sales.  I called them for around two months and they gave me a range of excuses, even saying it saying the holds were due to an old account i had.  I closed the old account and still the holds continued and yet more excuses and misinformation from the agents when i was calling about it.  I have already graduated from the ebay 90 days hold programme and a month after that stopped paypal then started holding every single sale I made.  They are still giving me no reason why when i have an excellent records, low disputes, 100% feedback, no issues with items.  I felt helpless that paypal were controling my money without my conscent and unethically giving me no time frame of when the holds would end or any reasons why suddenly a month after the ebay hold stopped, they, without warning then started to hold every single sale i made.  I have opened a case with the ombudsman and they said they are going to investigate paypal.  you can contact the fsa here to make a complaint they then contact paypal on your behalf.  It is quite easy and simple to do and the ombusman will make an invstigation into your account and tell you what they can do about it if you have been unfairly treated.  They also work between you an paypal to come to a resolution to your problem with them.  Here's the link to the FSA: <removed>. And paypal are registered in the UK and the FSA can investigate if you complain to them.

Login to Me Too

Fasteddyfelson1
New Community Member
You’re not alone. I experienced the same situation, systematically withholding payments despite proof of delivery and positive feedback on eBay from the buyer confirming receipt of goods and happiness. PayPal just want to hang on to every penny for as long as they can, it’s disgraceful. That’s with 100% feedback and positive comments on the Sales the money was withheld on. They ignore messages for days on end as they know there’s nothing they can say when you question why they are holding your payments. They say it will be released 24 after proof received but that’s not true and almost laughable. They’re message centre people are just idiots who ignore any questions or proofs that you send and just patronise you with have a great day, stay safe, after the latest lying reply. I understand that PayPal have to pay £450 for every complaint received so I would encourage people to go straight down that route and save time as they will ignore any official complaint constantly in my experience. They have created a system where they do what they want and victimise people without justification. eBay have ended their arrangement with PayPal which will come into effect in the coming months and it can’t come too soon. If you sell on eBay, then you are open to their nefarious unjustified practices and they have no accountability. They just ignore you. There are no telephone numbers, just a “message centre” which they ignore if you are in the right and they have no answer. I cannot state how much I despise PayPal enough and encourage anyone to terminate their relationship with them as they are a dreadful company.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.