Extremely disappointed with Paypal Dispute Service - what are my remaining options?

KAAPok
Contributor
Contributor

So, I ordered 2 lamps from a website looking like a US company.  Paid $133.  Lamps come 2 months later, and in that time, I determine it is some China-related company.  Opened box, and lamps that were supposed to have a 13 foot cord and plugs, had a 2 foot cord and just cut off (no plugs). Besides that, the finish on the lamps looked 100% different than picture, and looked like a child created the finish (not that there is anything wrong with children and crafts!).  Customer service of the company (Litfad) was useless, and spoke in circles (perhaps the same child that painted the lamps).  Put in claim to Paypal, supplied info, and they determined the path to resolution was for me to send product (non-functional) back to China for $400.  Litfad only agreed to refund me if they received the product back.  I insisted the product was useless, and NOT what I ordered, and that any return shipping should be paid by the company that scammed me.  (This company takes pictures of products from WWWeb, and takes orders on them.  When they receive order - they attempt to manufacture to the photo/description).  PayPal insisted that is policy, and closed out all communication channels.  I created a message to paypal and insist some supervisor contact me, and it is not happening.  If I made same claim to my credit card company, I am convinced they would step up. I do a lot of business with PayPal,  and to be dismissed like this is sooo frustrating.  Instead of punishing the scam company. their loyal customer is punished.  Any advice on recourse (besides using PayPal less often)?  Thanks in advance ....Kurt

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@KAAPok 

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media ads easy to spot (once you know the below signs) so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

In the event of a dispute you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country because....

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ3544

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

KAAPok
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for advice.  I am not looking for PayPal to reimburse for shipping charges.  What I am looking for is simple:

Within the dispute process, recognize a scam purchase, and where appropriate - use leverage of PayPal to enforce that return shipping related to scam products be borne by the scam company - and if said scam company disagrees, then have a means of HOLDING SAME COMPANY ACCOUNTABLE - WITH SOME CONSEQUENCES.  I REPEAT - CONSEQUENCES.

After my dispute, the scam company just goes happily about their business, continues to scam (and create further dispute churn in PayPal system - increasing poor customer satisfaction LIKE MINE).......while loyal PayPal customers are punished with complete loss of purchase dollars ($133 for me).

A Consequence could be that PayPal would no longer be accepted as payment method for that scam company's products.

So, instead of listing current policy statements that are not relevant to specific scenarios, maybe actually creating ones that address the issue would be helpful. Thats my advice to PayPal, not the community helpers...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.