Dispute declined, when it was an actual unauthorized purchase.

KingAxe
Contributor
Contributor

So somebody entered my account and made unauthorized purchases from an unknown source and I'm not sure what to do anymore because I'm just so confused on why it's canceled, I phoned them and open the dispute and told them exactly everything, but then I find out that it was declined...

I had 1200$ dollars swiped out from my account and that's pretty much it.

Please if somebody can redirect me on what to do, I would appreciate it.

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@KingAxe

An unauthorised transaction means that your Paypal account was hacked and used without your consent.
If Paypal check IP addresses / devices etc and find that it was hacked then you should receive your refund.

If you didn't then you could try phoning them to appeal.

Also ...
I hope you changed your password and security questions?
I hope you ran a virus scan on your computer?
I would also be telling my card issuers and bank accounts company that the account was hacked so that they can keep an eye on your account OR remove the financial info involved until things are sorted.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Hometech
Contributor
Contributor

This also happened to me.

About a week ago someone hacked my PayPal account. They made numerous purchases; 5 under $100 CAD, 1 that was pending for over $1000 CAD, and another one still pending for over $3000 CAD. I immediately notified Paypal and they acknowledged the unauthorized access and went to work. Of the 5 under $100 CAD they got refunds for 4 of them, with a fifth one still pending. But here's the problem.

From Tuesday to until Friday the over $1000 purchase was pending. I contacted the vendor that the hacker used to purchase from, and got no response. I appealed to Paypal and my case was denied while this transaction was still pending. Paypal was completely aware of the hack obviously as they refunded me for some of the others, yet they denied this. After the transaction completed I appealed again over the phone. The lady on the phone in Georgia said I would get my money back, so for a moment I was relieved.

Then today I get notified from Paypal that they were again denying my case. They stated that this large purchase was "consistent with my transaction history" which was patently false, since I have only ever made small purchases much less than $100, and pay for a monthly streaming service. 

If this is what Paypal calls "security" i sense that an investigation could and should occur as result of this obvious and blatant lack of detail to security. I mean like, I notified them twice in the notification center that the $1000 transaction was NOT authorized and also over the phone. What more could I possibly do?

No, this is on Paypal. This is unbelievable.

Login to Me Too

SAME type of thing has happened with me!  22 unauthorized transactions occurred from 11/28/19 to 12/2/19, 9 of them were TOP UP charges stealing cash directly from my linked bank account, the other 13 were for items listed as purchasing taxes, utilities, travel, and tuition for someone in Mexico. The charges total $1,273.00 USD    Paypal REMOVED the below listed TOP UP charges from my account. I immediately filed a stop payment through Chase, though, because CHARGES KEPT COMING THROUGH EVEN AFTER I REPORTED THE UNAUTHORIZED ACTIVITY TO PAYPAL ON THE PHONE!!

JPMORGAN CHASE BANK, MY LINKED CHECKING ACCOUNT, WAS NOTIFIED IMMEDIATELY, AND A STOP PAYMENT WAS ISSUED ON ALL THE FOLLOWING CHARGES:

$130.00 TRANSACTION ID 2LB6208752373581J SELLER INFORMATION "BANK ACCOUNT"

$100.00 TRANSACTION ID 3GK91543WK575361S SELLER INFORMATION "BANK ACCOUNT"

$100.00 TRANSACTION ID 35937553R4894922W SELLER INFORMATION "BANK ACCOUNT"

$ 80.00 TRANSACTION ID 13148532BA616874H SELLER INFORMATION "BANK ACCOUNT"

$ 40.00 TRANSACTION ID 1SA8952065069290G SELLER INFORMATION "BANK ACCOUNT"

$ 90.00 TRANSACTION ID 9AF7498366442064K SELLER INFORMATION "BANK ACCOUNT"

$220.00 NO ID AVAILABLE $290.00 NO ID AVAILABLE $190.00 NO ID AVAILABLE

EACH TOP OFF COINCIDES WITH A FRAUDULENT CHARGE FROM MEXICO IN A FEW DOLLARS LESS, WHICH CAUSED EACH TOP OFF.

PAYPAL APPROVED THE THE "TOP OFF" CHARGES AS “UNAUTHORIZED” AND THEIR RESOLUTION DEPARTMENT REMOVED THOSE CHARGES. I HAD ALREADY STOPPED PAYMENT THROUGH JP MORGAN CHASE, COSTING ME $30, BUT THESE WERE OVERDRAWING MY ACCOUNT AND KICKING OUT MY BILLS.  MY PAYPAL ACCOUNT IS SHOWING A BALANCE DUE FOR OVER $1200 .

I HAVE APPEALED, AND WAS DENIED. I HAVE APPEALED THE APPEAL, AND WAS TOLD TO SEND POLICE REPORTS AND OTHER DOCUMENTS THROUGH RESOLUTION SECTION SECURE DOCS, WHICH I HAVE DONE. I HAVE GOTTEN NO RESPONSE. 

Today I filed a complaint with the CONSUMER FRAUD PROTECTION AGENCY, and will file through https://apps.adr.org/SimpleFile/faces/SimpleFile.jsf as instructed by Paypal cash debit Mastercard user agreement states. Though, that agreement also states that I will be protected from unauthorized use of my card.  My next step is to hire an attorney to handle this. I have researched, and there are very many of us who have been told the same thing after a dispute filed was rejected, and appeal was rejected, that the CHARGES WERE CONSISTENT WITH OUR USE.   Someone in this organization is stealing from us, and a CLASS ACTION suit might be all we can do to get relief from this hell. I have fought them for over 2 full months, and countless hours on the phone, and expense and opportunity cost and stress.  I will not stop until they remove the unauthorized charges from my account.

Login to Me Too

Clever915
This exact same thing is happening to me! Idk what to do they charged over 5k !!
Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

what country are  you in?

For UA,like he said,Paypal checks to see where the hacker is coming from and decide if it were a hacker or someone in your household .

is there anyone in family who knows your password ? 

Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

where did the 1200 come from,paypal fund,bank or cc.

Login to Me Too

KingAxe
Contributor
Contributor

Okay so the money was never in my paypal, the was in my bank account, so he transferred everything to the paypal account, and no this is a hacker 100% nobody in my family has my details, the hacker him self converted the the money to dollars and sent to his websites and what not.

But pretty much, the thing is, my account has been hacked from my computer, because I had some weird glitches and it happened in the middle of the night.

Login to Me Too

KingAxe
Contributor
Contributor

Okay I just called them, and they said they will make an appeal, the hacker basically like I said on my previous reply, hacked my computer and did the transactions from my computer, hence why the dispute is declined, I'm not certain If I'll get my money or not, it's a matter of how deep they will look in to it, investigate it or what not, my computer was hacked without my knowledge and money was stolen from my bank account, the IP is my own so that's why they declined it so easily without looking in to it, but hopefully me telling them what actually happened will solve the case, and get my money back, because I don't know what else to do.

Login to Me Too

Araldo

Same for me, a little over 1200 USD transferred in 5 transactions to two people I don't know in the last 3 days. It was not me who send the money, I suspect they hacked me via a virus on my computer.

Claim denied, without explanation and no possibility to appeal.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.