Conman trying to sell before payed for

Safc123
Contributor
Contributor
On the 23rd of June I listed a sofa for sale on gumtree for 200 a guy contacted me and said he would buy the item but could I hold the item for 14 days and he would pay half the price as a deposit straight away so he could arrange collection I agreed. Next day I find the item I was selling listed on eBay by him from my address to be honest I haven’t got a problem with that roll on a week it brings 280 but for what ever reason the sale doesn’t go though more than likely he had bid the item up himself Another week passes that’s 14 days I message the guy and ask what was happening he said he would pay the remaining balance by the end of the week as courier had dropped him in regarding delivery he agains lists on eBay that day the sofa as buy it now for 280 Now today 21 days later still no payment and the guy has opened a case saying he wants he’s deposit back as he hasn’t received the goods Obviously I have all the correspondence between us stating he would collect and that he didn’t want item delivered also have the proof he was trying to sell the sofa on eBay What happens in a case like that ? Thanks
Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Safc123 

You have no proof of delivery if an Item Not Received claim is filed. That's the indisputable way to be protected otherwise there is no telling how PayPal will rule.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Safc123
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for the advice mate problem is tho he wanted to collect not take delivery which I have In correspondence with him meaning there would be no prof of delivery as he wanted to collect ?
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Safc123 

if the buyer is to collect, he can still file a SNAD claim (which you are not protected from) and return the sofa. he just can't file a item not received claim after pick up.

Login to Me Too

Safc123
Contributor
Contributor
But the guy never intended to collect he was just trying to make a quick profit by listing on eBay
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Safc123 

It can go either way, tbh. PayPal can say, it's buyer's remorse and close the case against the buyer or they can see it as you can't have the item and the money too with no proof of delivery or pick up in person.

Login to Me Too

Safc123
Contributor
Contributor
I’m more than happy to get the item delivered for him I’ve told him that 3 times now he just says he would rather collect in person And all I want is for him to collect the sofa and pay the remaining balance but like I said he had no intention of collecting Sofa he just tried to make quick cash realises he couldn’t now wants he’s deposit back which is disgusting
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.