Chinese companies legit?

CagneyErickson
Contributor
Contributor
I bought a chest freezer from a company that popped up on Google shopping, sold at what I can only describe as a heavily discounted price. However, extreme red flags presented themselves when they failed to send additional shipping information. The only redeeming grace, i thought, is that I payed with PayPal. So I should be ok, right? But I seem to be hearing others say that these are scam companies and paypal has no means to get your refund. It's this true, and if so... why again does paypal exist?
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Tnewtong
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I think so. I've always had really good fraud protection with my credit cards. The company I used didn't allow me to use a credit card though, I had to go through PayPal. 

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

ThriftingFAD
Contributor
Contributor

Because no one knows until AFTER the fact; they TRUST PayPal's faulty guarantee. Lesson learned; use credit cards only.

Login to Me Too

CagneyErickson
Contributor
Contributor
How is a credit card safer? I would have used THAT if I would have known paypal is that unreliable. Do credit cards actually offer better fraud protection?
Login to Me Too
Solved

Tnewtong
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I think so. I've always had really good fraud protection with my credit cards. The company I used didn't allow me to use a credit card though, I had to go through PayPal. 

Login to Me Too

Tnewtong
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same exact problem. I found a company through Pinterest that I didn't realize was Chinese at the time. Money was taken out of my account immediately but I never received any shipping information. After trying to contact the company directly several times I filed a dispute on PayPal. Finally I was sent my package but my order was wrong. I have emailed the company again but of course have not gotten a response, and I have no idea how to let PayPal know that my order was wrong because my case is still open and as far as they know the order was shipped. I want my money back or my correct order sent and have no idea how to make this happen through PayPal. I'm very disappointed in the lack of their customer service options -- should be at LEAST a chat option -- and the fact that they don't screen companies more thoroughly. 

Login to Me Too

CagneyErickson
Contributor
Contributor
That's so weird. There are absolutely reputable Chinese companies, but the sheer volume of scams coming from there at the moment is unreal. Clearly the scammers know they're pulling a switcheroo and swapping whatever you ordered for an inferior product. I just hope I don't get like... a postcard with a picture of a chest freezer on it out something. At least send me a cheap knockoff! The site I bought my item from has since been removed for terms of service violation. Paypal better figure it out, because as long as using their service leaves users vulnerable to scams, people are going to say, "you know what? I'll switch to Amazon."
Login to Me Too

Tnewtong
Contributor
Contributor

Haha, totally! If they had sent me an item that was even somewhat similar to what I had ordered I might be OK with it but it was so grossly different I can't let it go. And exactly, it's losing customer trust which is never bueno. I hope you get your ice chest at some point!!

Login to Me Too

Judyjoy
Contributor
Contributor

I was warned not to use PayPal, as they no longer stand by the buyer.  I thought the person saying this was just being cynical. I heard from a former employee of PayPal that the company always protects the buyers.  Live and learn they say.  I opened a dispute and like so many others, was told to return the totally wrong size item to an address, written in Chinese, and make sure it arrived there in 7days!  My order took two and a half months to get to me, and to return it would have cost more than I paid.  I’m thinking I’m done with PayPal.  I can’t tell where the company I’m buying from is based until after I pay, then it’s too late.  

Login to Me Too

Lisako
Contributor
Contributor
PayPal is not protecting their customers
Login to Me Too

joniwelch
Contributor
Contributor

Got an envelope with a piece of Styrofoam in it and a said TRACKING NUMBER on it,Ordered A Lounge Chair,Like they could CRAM it in that tiny little envelope....they closed the case,seller said I received my order....cause I got the tracking number....took many pic's of it and sent it to them... They sided with the Seller :(... I'd like to cram that envelope up PAY PAL'S **bleep**....What the Hell good are they ? Ripp Off Son's a **bleep**'s !!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.