Chargeback misunderstanding between paypal and card issuer

maximk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

Long story short.

1. I put my order, before it got processed by the merchant - card issuer initiated chargeback because of suspicious transaction. And corresponding dispute has been opened in PayPal.

2. I contacted my card issuer and confirmed that I made legisimate payment. However, it took a while (more than a month!) before dispute was resolved.

3. Finally, I got dispute resolved with status "Resolved in your favour".

The question. Who owns the money? Since it took long time to resolve all the issues - the order itself is not relevant any more and I want to cancel it and get my money back.

The card issuer answers that they do not have my money - since I confirmed payment previously.

The merchant said that he does not see money either.

The PayPal can not be reached via Message Center because they always respond like "Please contact your bank since this is chargeback".

What can I do?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@maximk 

"the order itself is not relevant any more and I want to cancel it and get my money back."

Then you might as well have let the card issuer think it was not legit to get your money back. All that time and work for nothing.

You'll have to try and get in contact with PayPal for assistance:

Log on, click HELP on top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US or other available options.

Or contacting via social media:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter: @AskPayPal

Also review your credit card statements to see if the charge went through or not. Then you can dispute it again to get the money back if PayPal won't help, if you confirmed the charge was legit and the charge went through. One would think that if you claim the charge was legit, the transaction would go back on your credit card account as a completed charge.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.