Buyer unhappy with item

Joshmccann
Contributor
Contributor
Hey, first post on here, basically I bought a laptop off Ebay which was described as full working condition, I paid 550 pounds for it, so I recieved it and it seemed ok at first, couple of days later I noticed some of the USB ports and headphone port wasnt working properly, contacted the seller and he offered me a partial refund, so I accepted as i could still use the laptop to do what I needed, then the issues got worse and because I had already accepted a partial refund Ebay told me they couldnt help, so I went to PayPal and they decided in the buyers favour, so I relisted the laptop and made the description as honest as I could about the problems with the laptop and included photos of the whole thing, I got it sold for nearly 300 pounds and in the end I was only down about 80 pounds with shopping fees etc but I was happy just to get rid of it. The buyer has just contacted me to say he has noticed further problems with the laptop which I genuinely didnt notice, in my description I had listed all the faults that I had encountered and also put that it was not working 100 percent. He says he isnt happy and wants me to contact Ebay on Monday, I really dont want the laptop back as I have no use for it and I am already down money as it is, what would you recommend I do? I have used Ebay for many years and have lots of great feedback and never had any issues selling before, Thanks
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Joshmccann 

What did you categorize as the condition near the top of the listing description. (I hope you chose the last one):

Cameras & Photo, Cell Phones & Accessories, Computers, Tablets & Networking, Electronics, Home & Garden, Musical Instruments & Gear

• New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is found in a retail store, unless the item is handmade or was packaged by the manufacturer in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted box or plastic bag. See the seller's listing for full details.
  • Open Box: An item in excellent, new condition with no wear. The item may be missing the original packaging or protective wrapping, or may be in the original packaging but not sealed. The item includes original accessories. The item may be a factory second. See the seller's listing for full details and description.
  • Manufacturer refurbished: An item that has been professionally restored to working order by a manufacturer or manufacturer-approved vendor. This means the product has been inspected, cleaned, and repaired to meet manufacturer specifications and is in excellent condition. This item may or may not be in the original packaging. See the seller's listing for full details.
  • Seller refurbished: An item that has been restored to working order by the eBay seller or a third party not approved by the manufacturer. This means the item has been inspected, cleaned, and repaired to full working order and is in excellent condition. This item may or may not be in original packaging. See the seller's listing for full details.
  • Used: An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or store return that has been used. See the seller's listing for full details and description of any imperfections.
  • For parts or not working: An item that does not function as intended and is not fully operational. This includes items that are defective in ways that render them difficult to use, items that require service or repair, or items missing essential components. See the seller's listing for full details.

With the PayPal dispute system, SNADs are not covered UNLESS, the reason the buyer gives in the course of the dispute is more like a buyer's remorse (don't fit, didn't like, didn't meet expectations but materially as described, bought by mistake, etc.) so it depends on the circumstances of your case. If you did not select the "For Parts or not working", well, you'll just have to drill your side of the case a little harder to try and tip the scales when escalated to PayPal. The worst case scenario is to accept return for a refund solution again.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Joshmccann
Contributor
Contributor
Hi thanks for the quick reply, no I listed it as USED but I did put in alot of detail in the description about the issues that I had encountered but mentioned that it still was usuable, in the main advert header I also listed one of the issues, hopefully can get it resolved as it's been nothing but hassle so far,
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.