Blackmail / Fraud / Threatened Bodily Harm

troberts78
Contributor
Contributor

I've got a unique situation that I'm seeking further advice form the PayPal community because PayPal direct doesn't really seem to care.

I met someone in person in May and ultimately led to me being threatened bodily harm (the individual had a gun). He demanded both verbally and via text message that I send money via PayPal to an address he provided and if I didn't, he would hurt me in addition to publicly releasing potentially damaging information.  I've provided copies of these text messages to PayPal as part of my ongoing dispute.  In the moment, I sent the money because I genuinely feared for my life/safety - the guy had a gun.

Fast forward now and I've attempted to dispute the charge directly through PayPal (unsuccessfully) and now through PayPal Credit/Synchrony.  The second dispute was closed & denied after receiving a response from the "seller/merchant".  PayPal did not provide a copy of the response so I can't imagine how the "seller" defends blackmail, fraud and threatened bodily harm as a legitimate basis to deny the dispute.

I know this is a bit of a unique situation but any suggestions would be great appreciated with how to further proceed and possibly resolve this with PayPal.  I've considered going to the BBB but I don't know that that would do any good either because of the way the BBB functions.  I have already gone to the police and discussed with an attorney but so far there is no good way to attempt to recover the money that was sent through PayPal.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@troberts78 

Surely, you provided a copy of the police report to the dispute. Also file ic3.gov report. Try bbb.org anyway.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

troberts78
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the ic3 suggestion. No one else has even mentioned that avenue.  As for the police, that's been a journey in itself.  I live in one jurisdiction, the perpetrator lives in another, and the actual crime happened in a third.  As you can imagine with the police, no one really wants to do anything so they keep trying to pass it off on another department.  I don't have a physical copy of an official report because it's being, quote "investigated".  😕

Honestly, I don't think anyone is doing anything.  To them, it's a squabble over $300 bucks.  They don't care.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.