Being Scammed through being asked to send to a different address

Parkm1
Contributor
Contributor

I sold someone something on depop and they said their uncle was going to buy it for them as a present, and he would send me the money (not the person i was talking to). When I received the money from the uncle, I double checked with the buyer if they wanted it sending to their address in Bromley rather than the PayPal account's address in Glasgow (I mentioned glasgow but did not write the full address). This is £350 they are claiming + I spent £50 on the item originally, so it is a lot of money. I have screenshots of all my conversation on depop, and proof of postage. They are claiming that we exchanged messages on instagram, so I can supply evidence that this is not true, do you think that through this evidence I can show that I am being scammed and not the other way around? (they're claiming I sold them an iPhone X for £350 rather than an item of clothing) 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Parkm1

Sorry, you MUST ship to the shipping address on the payment to be covered by seller protection (its one of the main requirements). If they wanted a different shipping address, refund the money and have the sender resend payment with correct shipping address on the payment. This is the way to approach it before shipping. Deduct any refund fees each time until the other person gets it right or no go on the transaction. Or even inform/warn the sender that they must include the correct shipping address on the payment before they send payment.

Click "Legal" at the bottom of the page, select your country and click PayPal User Agreement to look up the Seller Protection Program terms.

But, all you can do is supply all your info and let PayPal decide but be prepared to lose the case. If by some miracle you win, then you are super lucky!

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Parkm1

Sorry, you MUST ship to the shipping address on the payment to be covered by seller protection (its one of the main requirements). If they wanted a different shipping address, refund the money and have the sender resend payment with correct shipping address on the payment. This is the way to approach it before shipping. Deduct any refund fees each time until the other person gets it right or no go on the transaction. Or even inform/warn the sender that they must include the correct shipping address on the payment before they send payment.

Click "Legal" at the bottom of the page, select your country and click PayPal User Agreement to look up the Seller Protection Program terms.

But, all you can do is supply all your info and let PayPal decide but be prepared to lose the case. If by some miracle you win, then you are super lucky!

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.