Account Limited Due to Unauthorized Payments and Received Payments

MaryStarling
Contributor
Contributor

I received an email from Paypal stating my account is temporarily limited due to suspicious activity. I went on to my account and the last legitimate payment or money received is from October 7th, 2019. After that, beginning on October 31st, there are a bunch of Payments To and Payments From which I did not authorize. I do not want to be penalized due to receiving and sending payments that I didn't authorize.

The sum of received and sent is quite large (over $1500 received as Goods and Services to someone I don't even know and I am not a seller of anything and almost $1000 sent which I did not authorize).

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

artsyfridz
Contributor
Contributor

Is your account already working or still limited? I experienced the same thing and until now, they haven't lifted the limitation. I need the money but they weren't resolving the issue. I already gave them all the details they need for all the transactions I had. 

If your problem is resolved, how did you resolved it? Thanks.

Login to Me Too

MaryStarling
Contributor
Contributor

I received the email a few hours ago and went on my account to check when I saw the email (about 30 minutes ago). I have no idea who either person is or email address is.

I am the only person with access to my Paypal and only access it from my home computer (I am the only one with access to it).

The buyer put goods and services but I don't sell anything so not sure what is going on. This all started a few days ago and my account was fine before that.

I am waiting to hear back from Paypal but I disputed all of the charges that I could. The person that sent me money wants their money back but I don't have enough on my account to pay them (I didn't have very much on my account to begin with).

Login to Me Too

artsyfridz
Contributor
Contributor

My account was normal two weeks ago and been using it and then they emailed me saying that my account is being limited and until now, they haven't resolved the issues despite clarifying all the transactions I made here on Paypal. Geez. They even want me to call them (which is a US number and I'm in the Philippines) so it's more annoying. 

Login to Me Too

MaryStarling
Contributor
Contributor

I just checked and the timeline is as follows:

October 31st - sent pretty much all my money to some random email (person #1)

November 1st - someone sent me almost double what my account sent to above (from person #2)

November 2nd - almost the entire amount from above was sent to person #1

November 3rd - received a large payment from person #2

November 3rd - received a large payment from person #2 

November 3rd - payment was sent to person #1

November 4th - received a large payment from person #2

This is a weird setup up payments back and forth. I am almost positive it is the same person with different emails perhaps? I don't know either name or email address so I am hoping this get resolved and I receive my original money back in my account as this is fraudulent and I had nothing to do with this.

I am going through some stressful stuff in my personal life so I don't need this on top of it.

Login to Me Too

artsyfridz
Contributor
Contributor

Same here but mine was friendly transactions. I received money from my friends and then I sent money to my brother-in-law and then Paypal limit my account due to these transactions.

Login to Me Too

MaryStarling
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for reporting this case. After reviewing your case, we found that the reported transactions were not unauthorized and hence couldn't be covered under PayPal Purchase Protection. We've noted the account changes you reported with this case.

I will get a lawyer if I need to since this is ridiculous. I didn't authorize these charges and they acknowledge this yet it isn't covered under the protection?

Login to Me Too

MaryStarling
Contributor
Contributor

I called Paypal and they said I would hear back by email within 72 hours (after submitting my photo ID and proof it's me).

I had emailed the person that sent me money and he said his account was compromised as well and would like the money refunded (sadly, I can't afford to refund him because my account barely has the funds) and I said I was waiting to hear back from Paypal about the whole thing.

I received an email from Paypal telling me one of the charges he disputes was closed in my favor. That's not exactly fair to the sender because he didn't send me the money (his account got hacked) and I was told the money sent from my account was basically gone because the charges weren't authorized....

This is backwards logic Paypal. How is this helping anyone when charges that aren't legitimate aren't being refunded to the accounts of those people that were hacked and the hackers are getting rewarded?

Login to Me Too

geetrish
New Community Member

i sympathize with everyone here, as I am also a victim. mysterious card appears, same street address, different town. the town is real but there is no street by that name in said town. there have been sales for something i never sold, resulting in payments, but money was transferred to this mystery card (which i cannot delete) to a total of a grand more than the payments, now my account is negative a grand, yet there are still more payments pending, and paypal seems to not care...am i sure its not my card they said.....i have heard nothing since

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.