Redeeming Ebay gift certificates

batman67
New Community Member

Is Paypal having problems redeeming ebay gift certificates?  I was able to use mine for one purchase, and when I went ot use it again (to clear remaining balance) paypal says it is not valid.   Does anyone know what is going on?

Login to Me Too
20 REPLIES 20

masbush
Contributor
Contributor

I called PayPal Support and they reactivated my gift certificate and even informed me that I had an old $5.00 unused balance on a gift certificate.  It took about 30 minutes on hold to finally get through to someone, but once actually talking with someone, it took only minutes to fix.  My suggestion... bite the bullet and call and wait... and wait... and wait.  Sorry it's not better news, but at least they fixed the problem.

BTW, they said that this is a known issue.  Does that mean they're fixing it?  Your guess is as good as mine.

Good luck all.

Login to Me Too

Skeeters
Contributor
Contributor

Same here call paypal at Login, Click "Contact Us", Click "Customer Service Center".  Press 0 during the call to get to cust support.  They will put you on hold for 20-30 minutes then someone will fix it in under a minute.

Login to Me Too

scarecrow458
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks to those who replied about the gift certificates. I do not see why I need to be inconvenienced, however... that this is technically a gift that I cannot use unless I call  Paypal?!?Smiley Mad Sounds stupid.  I am going to go ahead and tell my gift giver to  chargeback the credit card purchase. See how they like that instead. 

Login to Me Too

nailhead
Contributor
Contributor

After posting my problem with my gift card I decided to give it one last try, I typed in the 9 digit redemption code + the 4 digit pin # and it worked like magic . I don't know what the problem was the first 5 times i tried it but it finally worked. I still won't be buying the gift cards anytime soon, I don't need the stress!!!!!!!!!!

Login to Me Too

nailhead
Contributor
Contributor

I too just tried to use a gift card given to me for christmas , keeps telling me i am typing in the wrong number, after 5 tries i just gave up. i guess i will call the 800 # and wait for 30 min. for someone to answer. i won't be buying any gift cards any time soon

Login to Me Too

SweetsweetLi
Contributor
Contributor

Now I've got another issue on top of it.

I recieved a set of gift certificates from a friend for a gift, and even after getting on the phone and getting a Paypal rep to repair them, I'm now getting the repeated error "Please retype the redemtion code and try again." I've retyped each one multible times, and I'm NOT getting the codes incorrectly. I've checked over and over.

What's going on? Is there a delay after the gift certificates are activated to when they can actualy be used?

If it's anything, these are for a particualr online shop, and not E-Bay.

Login to Me Too

golfrich
New Community Member

I received a Ebay gift cert. I used once w/no problems. The last two times I went to use it, it keeps popping up "oops, can't redeem at this time". Online help was useless. Called the phone # and waited for one hour and then was told  (by automation) that traffic was heavy...Good bye. What do I do now???

Login to Me Too

somebodyhelpme
Contributor
Contributor

I opted for email, since I don't have the time or patience to sit on hold.  My message was brief; they know the problem exists, so I didn't feel the need to go into detailed explanation.  It took the better part of two days to receive a reply, but the problem was resolved and the process was basically painless.

Login to Me Too

jimkola
Contributor
Contributor

Most companies that issue gift cards average a 40% spoilage rate. This means that 40% of the money they colllected selling gift cards never gets redeemed.

So you think they could be a liitle more helpful with those that do. IMHO

Login to Me Too

I have been having an issue with gift card also...I called paypal today and they did say they are aware of the problem and have figured out if you bought your cards from kroger they didnt scan properly....there are alot of cards that were like this all coming from kroger. You have to go to kroger and have them rescan the cards to activate them. This really is quite a headache...I as well have been waiting to pay someone for something i bought and luckily they have been very patient with me but i feel horrible.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.